Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walleye fishing the inter coastal waters of Lake Michigan
Walleye fisherman of Michigan, I will be leaving on Saturday to fish Manistee Lake in Manistee County for the first time. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has fished this lake recently or during the months of June or July for Walleye or Pike. I'm sure most of the lakes connected to Lake Michigan have similar strategies, so that would work too. My boat is too small to get out on Lake Michigan so that is not an option. Could really use some tips like locations, depths, colors, bait, etc. Thanks. [Image: confused.gif]
[signature]
the manistee river between lake michigan and I think it is brendal road "last paved road before you get to tippy dam has walleye.

we get walley all the way up to the dam. but you need a smaller craft to get up that way. "smaller than a fiber glass boat"

the majority of river between brendal road and the dam is wadable, stay out of the middle, there are deap spots. there is even a boat ramp on brendal road but it is pretty shallow, But if you go north of the river on brendal and hang a left on the first cross road there is a boat ramp that will have enough water for you to handle a 16 foot fiberglass boat. There are two boat ramps down that road, pass the first one and hit the second one.

the up side of that area is that there are camp sites not to far off.
Thanks for the insight. My boat is a 13' trihull...capable of pretty shallow water with my trolling motor. I will be sure to be careful when wading and motoring. I've heard the depth of the river can jump up to a foot of water in an instant. Have you fished this area recently or in past years during June or July? What kind of baits or lures produced fish for you? [Smile]
[signature]
for walleye, crawlers minnow and leaches, some time artificial of the same works.

for the trout, there will be a few, but the main body will be out in the lake.

Ya, I have fished it, been a couple years since I was there last.

with that boat, you will be able to launch at the dam on the north side. there is only one launch there that I am aware of you wont be able to get on, it is a canoe launch. on 55 before you get to weatherton. that is above the dam so you realy dont want to be there