Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice regarding Lemhi in October
Thanks in advance for any knowledge you folks can share with me regarding fishing in the Lemhi... or fly fishing in general.

My father and I are heading up to the Leadore area hunting the second week of October. Dad has fly fished before in Alaska, but we're avid rod and reel fishermen predominantly. Personally, I know nothing. Zilch. I'm trying to learn as much as I can between now and October. I bought a fly rod and will start practicing this weekend. The salesman got a kick out of the fact that I literally know not one thing about fly fishing despite having spent every single extra moment I've had in my entire life on the water or in the woods.

So my first question, and this might be idiotic, but can I wear Crocs in the Lemhi? We're flying out and we're predominantly hunting, so we're going to be strapped for luggage weight. I was going to get bootless waders and wear Crocs. Or is the Lemhi absolutely a felt-shoe-worthy bottom?

Also, will we catch anything that time of the year?

Thank you kindly!
[signature]
Middle of October could be a nice warm spell or could be a blizzard. But the water will be chilly either way. It's not a wide river, it flows fast. I've never felt like chest waders weren't enough when I was wading around in it.

The bottom where I have been was silt or smaller rocks.

You can also drive south over Gilmore Summit to Birch Creek and plenty of folks like catching brookies there.
[signature]
Thank you mudsucker. I appreciate the insight. Since you're telling me to go elsewhere, does that mean the fishing in the Lemhi isn't great in October?
[signature]
I told you about the river. I've never fished it, but I've trapped it. [Wink]
[signature]
Gotcha, thank you! We're going to be deer hunting, either Mulie or Whitetail. Thoughts in the deer in that area?

THe fishing is secondary, a killing time during the day venture if you will.

I know whether we catch or kill anything the scenery will be worth the trip. The place looks beautiful. For us "flat landers" the experience alone will be truly awesome. The ranch we're hunting is near Leadore and it's mostly an elk hunting outfit. The deer hunting we'll be left to our own as we're only paying a trespass fee. Should be a big time, kill/catch or no kill/catch.

We're avid fishermen/hunters but we're completely green with highcountry outdoor pursuits. Your insight is invaluable to us. Thank you for the help!
[signature]
Sorry haven't fished the Lemhi, but Birch Creek is always a great option for the beginner fly fisherman. I hope you are doing your cardio workout. The hunting in that area from my experience is straight up and down.[cool]

Windriver
[signature]
Windriver, I'll check out Birch Creek on a map and see how far we are. Hunting-wise, we'll be mostly hunting a private ranch with huge alfalfa fields, or at least that's my understanding. I've hiked in the NC mountains only enough to know yours out there would kill me. You do what you have to do when hunting to be successful, but I do indeed fear the terrain getting the best of us.

What did you think of the whitetail you might have come across while trapping up there? We realize there will be no absolute book trophies, but we're hoping for solid 140" deer or so. That's a trophy to us.
[signature]