Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reel Cleaning(oils)
Ive been using 3 in 1 household oil. I dont know whether or not this is bad. Anyone else have some good info. on which oil too use when cleaning a reel?
[signature]
bump
[signature]
I've used it for years on my reels and haven't had a problem. Any high grade oil will do.
[signature]
if you live in fridged climets like I do, dont use it on your winter reels or guns, that oil will freeze up.

nothing like having a spool bail that wont close or a gun that wont fire because the oil froze the working mecanizms.

had a couple deer got away from me that way, I blaimed the gun for years till I used that oil on my winter ice fishing reels on a sub freezing day... then it all clicked... lol wished I would have got that click when I pulled the trigger... [laugh]
When I tear down a reel, I lightly coat the internal gears and such with vasoline. On the other stuff like level wind or what ever, standard issue reel lube.

LOL, on guns, gun oil. [Wink] Very, very light coat, wipe off the access. It doesn't take much. And don't dump oil inside the bolt with the firing pin, that's a bad idea. [Smile]
[signature]
yah, wasnt my gun.. [Image: confused.gif]
It was my dads, he was netorious for using 3n1 oil or whale oil on it, and dumping several drops right in to the fireing pin.

took a few years before he realized that the gun froze up every time the temp droped down to 20. acctualy it took the gun freezing up on him after years of loaning it out to guys that went hunting with him and they all eventualy found the gun froze on them while attempting to harvest a deer or rabbit. For years he swore that no one ever saw a deer or rabbit lol...

he eventualy took it in for servicing, they told him how to care for his guns... he had no more problems with his loner guns after that.

wich is a good reason for owning and maintaining your own guns.

I shiver at the thought of seeing guys of seeing guys buying used guns for deer season only to sell them back to the used gun dealer after the season is over.

aka rent...
wouldnt be bad if the dealers would service every gun that come in to thier shop, but they sell them as is.

any way back to the topic on hand, I am with you,
invest in gun oil for your guns and invest on reel lub and reel grease for your reels.

the price is the same or less than 3n1 oil, and since you are using only a tiny bit, it last for years.

I have used vasolene as well, and will again in a pinch, but it dose require you to change the lube more often.

I have found when I am cleaning reels that some times it looks like some one applied gear lub to the innards with a front end loader. it is not nessisary to use that much. Just enough to coat the gears with a little slop is good enuff.

vasolene will freeze up in temps of 25* or colder.
Fortunately, we don't have those super cold temps here. In fact, the coldest we can expect on the norm is mid 20's at night, and well into the 30's during the day. And that only lasts about a month or so. I'm not a big fan of cold, you might say. [:p]

Yep, I would never take someone elses rifle with me, not even a good friend, unless I knew they maintained it to the spec or better, as I maintain mine. I actually feel the same way about fishing equipment, well, anything for that matter. I guess that's my pet peeve.

The good thing about vasaline is it repels the water. I really like that, especially for my saltwater applications. It stays where you put it too, and doesn't run off like some of the lighter oil applications. But like you said, each oil has it's place and use. The idea is to know which is which. [cool]
[signature]
Thanks so much =).
[signature]
I use the reel oil on the drag washers front and back and crank spindle, and the reel lub on the gears... and if I dunk it in to the lake I park it untill I can disasemble it and replace the oil and greese.

it is important not to use any reel that has been dunked in to the lake no matter how long. switch reels or combos... ya I always cary a spare or two just in case.. [sly]

I have had to fish my reels up from the bottom of the lake on more than one ocation, yes even during hard water season.. [angelic]
your so welcome, and it is our pleasure, its what we like to do when we are not on the water chasin fish. [cool]