Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thames river 6/2 /11
my buddy bill,and i hit the thames river from dock rd @430 am.the dock are not in again this year.
it was just about low tide so we headed down river,we fished around the new docks across from the sub base.our drift brought us between the docks and channel marker towards the rr trackes.i was throwing a 1/2 oz leadhead with bubblegum 6 inch curlytail worm,bill was useing a 1/4 oz leadhead black worm.
we made 2 drifts with no luck.we decided to make one more and plan for our next move.on this drift i spotted a follow,didnt know what it was,and looked to be around 12 inches .the next cast i slowed it down,this time i had a couple hits,but didnt hook up.i changed to a smaller bait,a storm swim shad,shad color,sent it out .this time i hooked up,a 15 inch blue.
we make 3 more drifts in the same location,ended up with some stripers in the mix,the first 2 were 24 and 26.then came a keeper 34 inches and a 32.along with more blues .after that we went to make another drift but this time it changed we were gettig pushed out into the channel,then the navy gunboat came over told us we couldnt fish infront of the base.even though we were there for 3 hours lol.so we went down to the goldstar bridge.i had my boat rod and bill brought some yellow perch,i never used perch for fluke so i gave it a try.i put on a 4 oz jig with a 3 ft floater,with bait on both hooks,within min of the first drift i had a 14 inch fluke.we made 2 more drifts withnothing but a keeper blue crab.on the next drift i had one big hit,almost ripped the rod out of my hands,i thought it might be a blue or striper,it fought and was taken line out,it ened up being 2 fluke,one keeper 22 inches and a shorty 16.bill landed a 20 inch fluke and a couple shorts,17 and 15 inch.we made a few more drifts with nothing,so we went up river.this was more of a learning trip for bill.he never been on the thames befor,so i was showing him the channels,and where he could go,ended up trailering the boat a 2 pm,
sorry no picks my phone went dead,and bills phone was so badly scratched up you could tell if we were holding a fish or a log,lol
[signature]
Sounds great with the keepers. I haven't hit a striper yet this year, but will give the fluke hell with POP on tuesday. Good job guys.
[signature]
Sounds like you guys had a good day! We went out Saturday as well in search of Mahi offshore, but struck out. Ended up with 3 limits of black sea bass, and got the hell kicked out of us the last 12 miles back in. [pirate][pirate]
[signature]