Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
damsels
[quote flygoddess]I am so sorry, and I am sure this sounds like a story, but I was just asked to send my fly pattern in to possibly be published in a new Yellowstone fly patterns book, this weekend.
So, I need to hold off on sharing this pattern till published.
Doesn't mean if I run into you fishing I won't share though...LOL[/quote]

Ok, so I dug up this old thread to see if the new killer damsel pattern has been published yet. Is it public record? Got any pics yet Joni?
[signature]
Good point, I forgot about it. I will ask Bruce Staples about it. He was handling my end of it. I will be doing a tying seminar at Jimmy's the 21st of Jan. and will get a chance to talk more to him about it.

It is such a simple pattern, and a take off of other patterns including Jim Teeny. I just change the material, added eyes and smaller version.
[signature]
Cool. I don't usually get too excited about new fly patterns, especially sunken ones. However, when someone who fishes as much still water as you says she has a "killer" damsel pattern, it gets my attention!
[signature]
A little late to this discussion, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents. Remember when I fished the Berry a week or two ago? I was there the day before and kept one slot buster for dinner. I was amazed at the contents of his belly, and decided to take some pictures in order to match what they were eating the next time I sat down to tie. Anyhow, here are a few: (keep in mind, this all came out of ONE fish, who was full to the brim.)

[Image: SaltLakeCity-20111206-00344.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20111206-00337.jpg]
This guy was still alive and kicking inside the fish, six hours after the fish was caught.

[Image: SaltLakeCity-20111206-00338.jpg]
[Image: SaltLakeCity-20111206-00339.jpg]
[Image: SaltLakeCity-20111206-00340.jpg]
[Image: SaltLakeCity-20111206-00341.jpg]

Please disregard my nasty nail-biting habit. I quit smoking, drinking, coffee and pot cold turkey all at once, but for the life of me, can't stop biting my nails.

Here is that same bug in water: (nearly two weeks later, he is still alive in the glass near my kitchen sink - I drop an occasional morsel of food in there and he attacks it. Kind of cool, actually)
[Image: IMG-20111206-00358.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20111206-00357.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20111206-00356.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20111206-00355.jpg]

Here are the "other" contents of the stomach: Lot's of potato bug looking guys (anyone tell me what they are?), itty bitty clear gobs (again, no idea?), and a crap-ton of crawdad.

[Image: IMG-20111206-00351.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20111206-00350.jpg]
[Image: SaltLakeCity-20111206-00352.jpg]
[Image: SaltLakeCity-20111206-00345.jpg]
It's hard to tell from the half digested remnants in the picture, but I would guess sowbugs. They can be really thick on some tailwater fisheries across the state. They're nice and high in protein and grow some healthy fish.
[signature]
I see a nymph or two maybe, but a bunch of Tater bugs...LOL
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I see a nymph or two maybe, but a bunch of Tater bugs...LOL[/quote]

Be nice, rude face!
Don't you call Sow Bugs, Potato Bugs? I have all my life I think.
[signature]
I think it's a western thing. I was pretty Confused when I moved out here as I had always called them sow bugs and potato bugs were a large striped garden pest beetle.
[signature]
It must be a western thing. I know in Washington we called them potato bugs, pill bugs, or sow bugs depending on which name the person we were talking to knew them by. [laugh][laugh] I wonder what their real name is. Naw, I am not wondering enough to look it up. I am sure I couldn't say it anyway!!
[signature]
Well, I got curious and looked it up. Looks like the technical name is woodlouse, though most every site called them sowbugs or isopods when referring to the aquatic form. In any case, they grow big trout and are a welcome site.
[signature]
TBD,
Howdy!
I think the little clear golden thingies are called daphnia. A few times I've seen them near the surface in incredible numbers at the Berry. Some of my most incredible days at the Berry were when I was using a honey colored crystal killer moved very slowly in open water. A sparse mohair leech in the right color could also give the appearance of a cluster of these critters too. Maybe put a few little pin-points of paint from a needle in the fuzz to imitate the dark spots some of them have.....
I'm still trying to wrap my head around you finding this bounty of "summer-time" food in a fish two weeks ago. I should get out more, or pump a few stomachs. I might learn something. [fishin]
[signature]
They could be scuds, too.
The clear glob things? Maybe digesting eggs??
That fish looked like it was really cramming it in for winter!
[signature]
there is a large number of water boatman in that mix as well
[signature]