Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blown away at Boulder Mtn..
The trip that I had planned with my son has come and gone. Someonw must have forewarned the mountain that we were coming because it tried everything in its power to get us to leave.[:p] We got to the trailhead on wed early afternoon. Just as we started to unload our packs and attempt the trail someone opened up the water spigot. It not only rained but it poured. And just to add a little sport the mountain added some hail to go along with the rain. Once the weather slowed a little we hit the trail. The mountain saw that we were not shook by the water works so it decided to send out its air force squadrons of mosquitos to try to carry us off the mountain. Didn't work, we camed prepared for battle with insect repellant. We finally made it to a campsite along the shore of Blind Lake. The mountain once again seeing that we were able to repell its second wave attacked again with wind. This time it pulled out all the punches. It blew from wed all night long and did not stop unitl just after 6 pm on Thurs. That was a lot of wind. We took float tubes hoping to get out and do some tubing on Blind but the wind kept us off the lake. There were some boy scouts there that figured out how to take a small aluminum jon boat back in there. It is approx 1-1 1/2 mile hike depending upon the trail you take. They were able to get on the water later in the day on thurs. We were able to do a little shore fishing and was able to catch a few. First fish of the trip was taken on a dry fly off the shore. A huge rainbow took it. Missed the hit the first time, reset and made the hookup. Nice fighting fish. No more takers on the fly for some reason so I switched to a spoon. WHAM! The fight was on. Brought in a real nice brookie. Had a couple more hits on the spoon but the wind picked up and made it difficult for casting. Also my son was getting bored. He couldn't keep his line in the water so we headed back to camp for a litle lunch. We also hit Pear Lake which is only a 1/4 mile hike and got blown away from there as well. Saw lots of fry at that lake but not takers on the flies. It was supposed to have Arctic grayling and brookies in it.
When the wind did finally die down thurs night I got a little po'd due to the fact I had already packed my tube back up in preparation for the mornings hike out. I was hoping to try out FG's deep nymphing tactics but the white caps on the lake made me think twice. Maybe next time. The water calmed down to the point that all the movement on it was the fish jumping and surfacing. I mean it looked like a boil of fish. I started throwing different flies and could not figure out what they were eating off the top. Lots of skeeeters all over. But no takers for my skeeter patterns. Across the lake you could here an occasional got one from the boy scouts as they started to wack the fish themselves.
In all it was a great trip and I didn't get skunked. I may make another go of it later this month. Mamatrout wants to do a little backpacking as well and is interested in attacking Boulder mountain too. Pics attached!

The weather turned out decent and the scenery was awesome! Gotta do it again...[cool]
[signature]
That is sure a pretty lake and area! Too bad about the weather, but that seems to happen to me a lot on higher elevation hikes. Hope your boy enjoyed it anyway!
[signature]
He loved it. He also enjoyed the fact that it was only the two of us and the girls were left home.[Tongue]
[signature]
To bad about the weather treating you guys the way it did but the time you spent with your son made it a great trip I'm sure.
Good for you.
[signature]
The time spent with my son was great. Something I want to do again, And yes since the weather was nuts I do want to go back down and attack the mountain one more time. With a 4 hour drive one way involved I gotta plan it way in advance and get some more time off from work.[cool] And since mamatrout wants to go down there I think I will be able to pull it off in 4 weeks.[sly]
[signature]
Man, I'd love for my dad and I to go do something like this. I'm lucky to even get my dad to pull this fishing gear out unless you mention Salmon River. Kind of a bummer for me. Looks like you two had a good time tho! Weather always just adds to the adventure Wink
[signature]
Glad to hear you had a good time in spite of the weather. Time spent with family fishing can not be deducted from your life so time well spent.
[signature]
Thanks. I definately want to go back. Beautiful country. Hey watcha doin Thursday? Gotta get to starvation.
[signature]
Although the mountain was protecting it's fish sounds like you still made the best of it and managed to come out with a few nice fish!

That rainbow is pretty big!
[signature]
We are planning a second attack on July 31. I was surprised with the rainbow when I pulled it out.
[signature]