Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
any suggestion?
I always go fishing at night, so I'd like to buy a flashlight for help. I hope it can be used as a defensive tool, too.
Anyone can give me some suggestions? Thanks a lot!
[signature]
I find my Lazer sight on my 357 works pretty good on both those topics[Wink]

What about a head lamp (red light of course) and a tire club?
[signature]
I know several people who camp and fish at night and they swear by the head lamps that they have.. has white and red lamps depending on your situation...

and sis.. I like that 357 idea.. but a 9mm or 45 will carry more rounds.. :-)...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Depends on what you mean by using it for self defense too. If you just want to illuminate or spot light the area, look at any of the good multi-led lights. As a weapon...They don't make many of the heavy D battery lights anymore.

If you get spooked at night.... then.

For defense I would recommend that you get a good can of mace or bear spray.

Last would be a concealed weapon permit and appropriate weapon. Also get very good training. Don't go shooting in the dark at shadows!!!
[signature]
More rounds????? Why would you need them[laugh] It only takes one.

But on a serious note, C is dead on again. The spray just makes so much sense. Easy to use and carry too.
[signature]
is the mace or bear spray any more affective than a shark repellent??? I remember divers telling me that the shark repellent did nothing more than change the color of the water and sometime irritate a shark... some left .. most didnt...

MacFly
[signature]
Id also add trying to make sure you have a buddy with you.. always safety in numbers (or more meat for the bears.. :-) )

MacFly
[signature]
Just to clarify what I am talking about.

Mace or bear spray is easier to use with less training. A gun isn't always the best answer for everyone, especially after dark. What do they feel is the threat? two legged or four? It isn't a good idea to start shooting, if you don't have a good target.

I carry a gun, but I have for years. I have a lot of experience with it, and I am not that easily spooked. I feel it isn't always the best choice in some situations.

What is out there past your target? A bullet goes a long ways, so if you are down anywhere that has houses or people within a mile it isn't a good idea to be shooting. You would be endangering others. Spray may be a better deterrent in some situations.

The questions was asked about the heavy 4-6 battery flashlights that used to make a good club. I just haven't seen them around or available in stores for quite a while now. So maybe a good led light and some nasty spray for the baddies.[img]../../../images/gforum/laugh.gif[/img][img]../../../images/gforum/laugh.gif[/img]
[signature]
I am not doubting or questioning your expertise. ... if I gave that impression I apologize... but..

it was FG that brought up the gun... I just said 9mm or 45 because they carry more rounds...

but... you are absolutely right on the firing in the dark especially... if you cant see it clearly then you should not be shooting at it.. that is true in the dead of night or the grey areas of dawn and dusk...

I was questioning mace and bear repellent only because I know with the shark repellent it was just about useless doing what it was designed to do... I honestly dont know about bear repellent... so in a sarcastic way (me) I was asking if it was a better product than say the shark repellent was...

I used to have a couple of those 4 "D" cell flashlight (didnt they also come in 6 and 8??)... had one at home for the wife to use whiile I was deployed.. gave off good light and if she ever connected with it someone was going to be in the hurt locker for sure... but have not seen them around in a while...

just curious... what pistol or rifle do you carry when fishing??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Macfly, I am sorry if it came across that I thought that, it just isn't so! I just got to thinking and thought I had better put more of my reasoning in for all of the people that read and don't comment. I didn't want any misunderstanding about why spray might be a good idea in many situations. I didn't even really think about who's post I replied to. It was kind of random!

I have a very small pistol - .380 that is easy to carry. The round is basically a short 9mm. http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LCP.htm It is NOT a bear gun!!

I have had other guns in the past, and I have had some encounters where I had to show it, not use it thankfully!!! But if I had to I would have used it. Other times where I just felt more comfortable having it around.

The bear spray and mace have a much better track record than the shark repellants etc. You don't even want to get it on you. You don't need to aim it as carefully -- just get the animal in the face or close to it.

I have thought about carrying bear spray, especially for the last couple of moose that I have run into, but it could be a very very bad idea for me to get even a little whiff of it, so I don't. I am just hoping they don't like loud noises like the gun shooting into the ground or more likely me screaming my head off!!![img]../../../images/gforum/shocked.gif[/img][laugh][laugh]

That brings up another point for all of those out there -- no one in particular --- never shoot into the air, ALWAYS shoot into something or into the ground. TV media is so wildly at fault for promoting people firing into the air. The bullet comes back down just as fast as it went up. Each year several people are killed at New Years alone, from stray bullets out of the air. What a waste!

This is rather random, and I am rambling ---- I am easily distracted! It is kind of off topic too. There is a post on the Idaho Off topic forum that is on "Gun or Spray" Interesting any way.
[signature]
I just wanted to add to you previous post C. I do have a concealed weapon permit and as you said, where is that bullet going if you miss. In my qualifying class, you are told to load the gun with a light load in case that happens. Just wanted to share that.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program.[Wink]

OH, and I am thinking Mace or Bear Spray for when I take Baxter for a walk and these owners that think their dogs MIND that well. Not to mention LEASH LAWS> Anyway, I was think the spray for aggressive dogs or at least their stupid owners.
At any rate, they will be easy to point out to an officer..LOL
[signature]
Oh yeah, spray for the dogs!!! Two of my daughters run a lot. They both carry the smaller sprays --- mostly for dogs that are obviously not on leashes. Some of the ones that they have seen would eat Baxter in one gulp!
[signature]
no harm no foul sis... at least the information is good.. since I live in the city and dont get out into the wild often I dont usually worry about such things..

now when I go to TN for a vacation and Larry and I go to a stream or two the worst thing I have to worry about is a snake or two.. and usually Larry sees them way before they see us.. lol..

I usually carry a good sized knife with me and that would only be good for anything close... hopefully that will never come to pass...

all of the safety precautions you have mentioned are good reminders for good and safe weapons handling...

sounds like the spray is the way to go if you can...

MacFly
[signature]