Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What type of catfish?
Wondering what kind of catfish this is. Caught it in a south Florida neighborhood lake.
[signature]
Looks like a Flathead to me. If it were a blue cat it would be grayish and not so dark with such a flat head.
[signature]
Hey thanks, I hadnt seen one so dark before, so I was having trouble placing it
[signature]
Well, the biologist who took at look at my longnose gar also had the privelege of seeing some fishing pics,He saw this cat and told me more abot it after confirming mine is a channel cat.Mine also caught in south Florida,I had no Idea,I guessed mine was a blue cat.He showed me how to compare them ,you can tell by the shape of its fin underneath,called the "anal fin."
The "anal fin" on channel cats is longer,and shorter for other cats?Here are 2 pics of what he calls a channel cat,thats the only way I can help, down here channel cats are most common I'm guessing, but what do I know,I love eating them,that I do know, mine is dark too..biologist also took a look at my albino cat pic #10,she too is a chann.cat he says..only other cats I seen down here are real long and slender,almost look like eels.We also have freshwater eels, I hope to post one along with the slender catfish,I ate one of these and it has yellow meat.Always help your fellow fisherman,Paulpro.
[signature]
I don't know. hard to say based on the second picture, but the first picture definately looks like a blue. They may be darker depending on how deep of water they are caught in. The blues around here are a deeper, darker blue. The head looks too round for a flathead, IMHO.

An ugly old flathead would have a defined flat head, all the way out to it's stumpy long mouth. And it would be a speckled brown color. [fishin]
[signature]