Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new fishing kayak!!!!/ some questions and want advice
I bought a 126" trophy fishing kayak by future beach yesterday for all my fishing needs and wanted your thoughts on it. If you also fish from a kayak maybe some tips.[Wink]

It is 126" long.

it has a dihedral shaped bottom (which means it is hard to tip over)

it has 2 flush rod holders

it has 2 completely waterproof storage spaces. one is huge. I could fit my tackle, sweatshirt, worms, lunch, and a broken down rod with still plenty of room to spare.
I also heard that some peopl troll with there kayaks just throw there line in and row, but I would have thought that the wierd even jumps the lure would make every time I rowed would ruin trolling?? any thoughts or previous experiences??

I'm heading to pineview on saturday to test it out.
[signature]
That's awesome! Well I have never fished from a kayak so I don't know what help I'm gonna be but I plan on getting one myself when I get back to the states next month. I also know nothing about trolling but I would think you could keep a pretty steady pace on a kayak. Plus if you are simply trolling you can place all your effort in making your pace as seamless as possible. Well good luck with your new kayak, I am a bit jealous!
[signature]
I bought an inflatable kayak this spring but haven't had much time to use it yet. So I don't have any tips. Except to mention that I had a friend that liked to troll with a small aluminum row boat. He swore that the action imparted by the oars worked way better than the steady pull from a motor. Of coarse he had his grandkids man the oars.
[signature]
thats actually what the person said is that the oars almost give it a jerking action that the fish love. but who knows? I will try it saturday. thanks
[signature]
The jerking action of rowing is a plus not a minus. Fish will often follow a lure in the water and hit it when the lure either suddenly speeds up or suddenly slows down. Rowing will also cause some lures to dart. This is no different than when casting from shore. It is far more effective to give the lure some action by varying the speed of reeling, moving the rod tip or whatever else will vary the speed than to merely cast out and retrieve the lure at a constant speed. Even when trolling with a motor it is more effective to troll in an "S" pattern so that the lures are either speeding up or slowing down.
[signature]
haha that makes me even more excited to fish with this kayak. thanks for the info. do you know how scared the fish (mainly small mouth) are going to be of the oars. it is not as quiet or steady as a trollin' motor. I am scared the splashing will scare them. would a planar board be a good idea??
[signature]
I would think that you would be fine.
[signature]
I would think an electric motor's whirring sound would create a more unnatural sound than an oar splashing.
[signature]
Maybe the oars will attract the muskies! With all the water skiers, boats, fisherman, etc, the bass won't be bothered by the oars.

One of the things that takes some getting use to is controlling the kayak in smaller areas with brush, trees, etc. One good thing about the yak is that you can get back into the brush. But if you have an extra rod, be careful it doesn't get hooked on a a tree or something and get tossed overboard.

You are going to be battling the power squadron next weekend. It gets a little difficult to stay in one spot and jig in a yak when there is lots of wind, waves and boaters. But it is easy to troll, but I haven't caught anything doing it yet. I was at the view today but only got a couple of bass and no luck on the muskies. I trolled around a while too.

Maybe I'll see you up there some time.
[signature]
Well with this week being sucky weather I am dying to get out there, even to just a local pond but I can't.until the end of the week. And to ktrout, ya man lets hope we run into each other. You have a kayak I am assuming??
[signature]
[quote FishHunterSmoot] I am scared the splashing will scare them. would a planar board be a good idea??[/quote]

The speeds at which you will be moving while fishing from your kayak will be pretty slow and therefore will require little effort. That's means that you won't need to splash if you are doing it right.
[signature]
First, be sure to wear your PFD. They call them Life Jackets, becuse they save lives. You have to wear them for them to work.

You can either cast from the yak or troll. You can mount depth sounders to them, carry coolers, ice..

Get a couple of plastic see thru tackle boxes to be in the cockpit with you. One with hooks, sinkers, swivels snaps and jig heads of all sort and size along with some small plastics if there is room. The other with lures, spinners and bigger plastics.
[signature]
[quote FishHunterSmoot].And to ktrout, ya man lets hope we run into each other. You have a kayak I am assuming??[/quote] Yep.

And a word of caution, waterproof compartments in kayaks are not always waterproof. So if you bring a camera, be sure to protect it at least for your first couple trips just to be sure.

Also agree with Troll, you should wear your PFD, especially for the sit inside yaks. The type of sit inside you have should be easy to get out if it flips, but as NETO pointed out in another thread, they can be dangerous.
[signature]
[quote Troll]First, be sure to wear your PFD. They call them Life Jackets, becuse they save lives. You have to wear them for them to work. .[/quote]

haha if you guys hadn't have told me that my parents would have. thanks for lookin out for me[Wink]
[signature]
Got a muskie from the yak today! Not a big one, but I was happy with it plus I got a picture.
[signature]
Congrat's! We were curious how you did. Nice fish, it looks like it was caught shortly after we saw you. And I thought you were joking about them liking the music.
[signature]
Any time you catch a muskie it's a good thing!
[signature]
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that kayak set you back? I would love one! I can't wait to catch one of those either! Smile
[signature]
I think I paid like $500. It was used but came with a fishfinder that I haven't used, a paddle, and an extra seat.
[signature]
nice fish man. I had other things so I couldn't hit pineview saturday like I said I was going to. I am dying to go. I am wondering how much of an adventure it was to reel in a muskie with a yak? It seems like it would be way more fun 'cause of how unsturdy it is. That seems like a fun time.

[cool]
[signature]