Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
streamer flies
I know that streamer flies are typically used for deep sea fly fishing but I was just curious if you could use them surf fishing. Would they be too big, or can you use ones under a certain length?
[signature]
[inline "Woolly 2..jpg"][Image: happy.gif]Hi there jbp and thanks for posting. Streamers will work any where there are fish. While I don't fish the salt I do have a good variety of streamers. Probably most peoples favorite is the Woolly Bugger. They come in all colors and shapes.
[center]
[center]
[signature]
wb's.. and dont forget shrimp patterns.. plus ones that resemble smaller fish such as perch, sardines etc... again.. check the local fly shops.. they will have the flies that work best in their area.. and dont be afraid to go with some larger patterns .. as they say if you want to catch big fish you need bigger bait to attract them..

MacFly
[signature]
I've never had much success using streamer patterns. Though I don't think that's the fly's fault. What's a good technique for using these? I'm at a loss.
thanks in advance
[signature]
It depends on what you are fish are around the beaches. In Southern California coastal fishing you would use smaller streamers than you would for typically use for open ocean fishing. Size 6 to 2 clousers are common for shore fishing SoCal. But if you are on the east coast fishing for ocean stripers then you probably would want some thing somewhat bigger.

Listen to a presentation by Ken Hanley, a California ocean fishing Guru. A Colorado trout fisherman asked him what flies were needed for the surf. He agreed with Dryrod. Woolybuggers is all you really needed. Some big ones some small ones. some bright ones. some dull ones. some weighted ones. some unweighted ones.

Then there is the guy that told me all I needed was some Tuttee Fruitees and some Ragin Cravins.
[signature]