Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
who said gar are useless,look
"pic 208 and 180 is of mount"..3 new pics,I made some things out of my rare longnose gar for south Florida,one I possible may never catch again.I enjoyed the time spent with this fish,I couldn't imagine the thought of never seeing her again in the flesh,so I did a self mount,yes I mounted her myself,I still need to get an eye made.Alfred hates gar,He wasn't very impressed to say the least.He did say dam,thats a big stinking gar.He did notice the newly found love I have for these fish,plus I owe it to her.I will start on some bamboo spears using a gar scales for the tip,I have plenty of bamboo,so its just a matter of time.I hope you too enjoyed my newly found love for gar,better pic of gar wrist band comming soon. pic 203 is her eggs,I boiled them and ate them with rice m, mmm[:p]the last pic really takes me back,Makes me feel how desperate the native americans must of felt.I guess they thought gar skin was so tough,maybe it could stop a bullet.I'm sure it did,also they may of used several layers.I'm sure some took a bullet and survived thanks to using gar armor.This fish could have saved many lifes,I am thankfull for this fish, I hope you too have a new found respect toward gar. Hometown hero..Paulpro...respect your fellow fisherman.. and his fish,[angelic]I heard lots of evil things such as buring the nose in the sand and letting the coons eat them...[frown]
[signature]
That bracelet and ring are AWESOME!!
You're like the Crocodile Dundee of gar.
[signature]
That was awesome...you get comment of the year,and possibly of the life time.I am considering donating my gar for others to enjoy,I feel I can infuence some lifes in this way.I got the most out of this fish already,I almost feel selfish in a way,I will feel better knowing its caught others imagination,maybe its just what someones may of be of been missing in their life.I will donate it to Buffalo Tigers airboat rides after buying a glass eye for it.I heard they must be hand made...also it needs a clear coat finish..pic is of my "selfmount"
[signature]
really good way of thinking you got there and love the respect and bamboo ideas, but i could have swore i heard somewhere at one time that gar eggs were poisonous to humans???
[signature]
And what part of the fish did you make that wrist band out of. it looked really awesome
[signature]
Thanks,the wrist bands are cool,onlything, they get hung up everything,especially if you go in your pocket.I lost my fav one which was made using two rows of scales.I cut between the scales at a 45 angle,this allows for them to bend and meet at both ends,if you cut them straight up and down they wont even fold correctly,I messed up two or three.. Once I got it,I added a thin layer of glue to the underside to keep the scales together"goop".On one band its just some string I tied to one end and wedged it between a couple scales to the other end,the one I still have is just a single row of scales.You just have to find the right angle to fold the row of scales.I cut out a row using some belly scales and all the way up towards the back. I used the middle section,look for a nice row and cut between the scales,I put the skin underwater for a few minutes to soften.I still have the gar eggs frozen,I want to see if anyfish eat them at the bay,I'll chum some up and see,wait for them to float up lol ..I said I ate them fried he he[Image: happy.gif].I'm gonna ask a native Indian if they know whats up with gar eggs.
[signature]
your a crafty and wise fisherman. keep up the cool shit, il be following your posts and i sure hope you do the same for me.
keep on fishin!!!
[signature]
Heres a vid I found of some local miami boys who had a hunch a long nose gar would be around,we drive by this canal all the time,sometimes I feel like fishing that area. I'm not sure what I'll do if I catch another[:/]I also thought I was the only one to catch a long nose around here,I was pretty freaked out myself,mine was biggerthough lol,plus [inline "rare south fl.longnosegar2.jpg"] I came prepared to row my boat,not to hook a flippin gar[Image: scaredworried.gif]I had mixed emotions as you can see by my expression.First thing I did after was to look deeply into her eyes,then I put her on my stringer
[signature]
[blush] ,Its good when others appreciate something which you make using your brain and your own two hands,hit me up anytime,but now, I have to hit up the lake[:p] Paulpro knows fishing like Boknows baseball,good luck with your next hook set, don't let her get away!
[signature]
"Gar flesh is edible, and sometimes available in markets, but unlike the sturgeon that they resemble, their eggs are highly toxic to humans. Several species are traded as aquarium fish.
The hard skin and scales of the gar were used by humans. Native Americans used the scales of the gar as arrowheads, native Caribbeans used the skin for breastplates, and early American pioneers covered their plows in gar skin. Not much is known about the precise function of the gar in Native American religion and culture, but besides using the gar, Creek and Chickasaw people have ritual "garfish dances."-Wiki
[signature]
My neighbor,a hippy chick,well I showed her my gar in those days I had it in icewater,she said she wanted to bless it?She went inside and brought some sage,she burned some and did a little dance for me lol,in return I gave her a bunch of gar scales.I still have gar eggs,I want to see if anyfish from the pond will die if they eat some,I'd like to experiment with them,or see if a rat eats them..[inline "gar chestplate prototype.JPG"]
its not superman,but Supergar,new super hero,also helps in the battle against crime[shocked]
[signature]
haha right on brother just didnt want u to eat some and end up dead....lol but there u go spread some out on some cheese or something and u got free rat poison Smile
[signature]
Hear this,I just got back from thanks giving in Orlando,While there,at night I thought I'd cut up a small bass for gar or catfish,lol ended up catching a largemouth on a small piece,made a fast run then jumped,I was like "what the heck" catfish don't jump?the bass was skinny,she could of been at least 3lb's,maybe she was just hungry after spawning like most women get[Wink] ..O,I caught a bass behind Tiger's house in Orlando[Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]