Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod WT?
Im preparing to buy my first fly rod and was just curious about what weight would be the best. I will fish mostly for bass and panfish in ponds and rivers but I also want to do some surf fishing. I had planned on getting a 9WT but Im afraid it will be too much if I decide to try for some smaller fish. Now Im contemplating possibly a 7WT but I was just curious If this would be a stout enough rod for the surf fishing too. Any suggestions?
[signature]
how much surf fishing and when is it for steel head or salmon?if so you can get away with a 8 wt switch rod for bass salmon steel head etc. here in michigan that is fish up to about 30 lb's for steel and salmon. not sure were your suf fishing so i am just guessing here that it's michigan. like lake michiagn if not i would step up to a 9 wt in the p.n.w. which will work for there steel and maybe salmon. reason i suggest a switch rod is it will save the shoulder surf fishing and bass fishing when searching for fish on the water. a reg fly rod will not help with it with just be hard on you during a day of fishing. would be about the same a 9 weight for bass steel for a reg fly rod for p.n.w.same goes for michigan with the 8 weight for a reg fly rod. the switch rod can be cast as a reg rod there is a longer fighting but for roll casting to make it sort of like a spey rod. which real helps. but a switch rod you will have to buy a switch rod line with it a reg line will not work.

if your in to building rod i suggest the kits at the hock and hackle company. which is hookhack.com if you have never built a rod start ... fly fishing is expensive and addicting. all you need is a cardboard box and a bobbin to start. and a few pointer on how to do it if you need them i can get them just private mesage me if you need them..
[signature]
I suggest the Sage Bluegill or Bass rod. This is exactly what they were made for, but I know several that use them exclusively.
Watch some of the videos of Dave Scadden....this is his rod of choice.
[signature]
those are good rod i just do not suggest them unless he is a bass tourney angler. that the kinda of rod that would give you sticker shock most of all for a first fly rod because it is a specialty rod for small mouth or large mouths only depending on the rod blue gills to. i would way my options there are a lot of good rods out there. if your a tournament type person then go for the sage. it is the only rod out there for bass fishing and is legal length for tournaments. but if your just a average Joe fishing in his boat not in a tourney. go for a reg 9 foot 6-9 weight rod depending on fly size this is were you can go any way you want each fly rod has a specific purpose. like blue gills to tarpon. you can build your own for cheap or by a tfo for cheap pre built. i would also check out some custom builders too at lest ask around and shop around.
[signature]
[Image: dumb.gif]Catching a panfish on a 7 or 9 wt would definitely be over-kill. An all around rod would be a 5 wt.
[signature]
Might want to watch the video...Tournament rod????? I guess so, but first I have heard of that. The rod is BUILT/designed..for these species with the back bone and the proper flex for wind, big bugs, vegetation, etc. The fact you mention Tournament just means they do their job very well.
To get someone hooked on Fly Fishing, you really have to make it as enjoyable as you can, or you will loose them.
These rods are that much better for other species. Several here swear by them for all fishing as you can feel the fight of the smallest of fish as well, but be able to cast head on into the wind.

Just saying, right tool for right job. You can use a crescent wrench on car repair, but box end or socket are much easier and better.

You can go cheaper for sure, but again, these are built for this and balance/weight are very nice.

A newbie and you are suggesting Build His Own? Better learn what to look for first. I have been fly fishing all my life but built my first rod maybe 5 years ago.

Just my suggestion, but, I don't find a rod at $395. that expensive, specially when you "could" turn around and sell it for darn near the same price, "if" for some reason you don't care for it. PLUS.....USA made.[Wink]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]

A newbie and you are suggesting Build His Own? Better learn what to look for first. I have been fly fishing all my life but built my first rod maybe 5 years ago.

Just my suggestion, but, I don't find a rod at $395. that expensive, specially when you "could" turn around and sell it for darn near the same price, "if" for some reason you don't care for it. PLUS.....USA made.[Wink][/quote]

best time to start building rods is when you get in to fly fishing paying upwards to $1000.00 each reel and rod. a abel 12 weight anti reverse reel will run you close to $1000 a good hardy spey rod same thing. $395 cheap no that's what is wrong with fly fishing it to stuffy and starched pompous people who do it. they think there the sole owners of the rivers and there head's are in the clouds. thinking others can do what they do and afford the same is wrong.

like you said the guy is a newbie why pay $395 for a specialized stick it just wrong. he has two choices large or small mouth for his rod what about gills , trout ,cat fish ,carp etc... you could get a okuma slv reel for 50 bucks a ok weight forward line 10-20 for a good line and a tfo rod 120 last i looked way cheaper. or a albright rod when the clearance them out in the fall i think i paid 59.99 for my a5 9 foot 10weight for salmon /salt and a meridian 8/9 weight for 39.99. salmon/ salt. were only here to suggest not force our views on people remember that.
[signature]
Not sure where the pompus came in to play. But you are right about not
Forcing an opinion. A good warranty is a good thing too, might want to check on that Albright. Granted, might be cheap enough to not worry about.
And if you are fishing Salt, maybe a reel made for that.
Just suggestions.
[signature]
[quote michfishgod]
best time to start building rods is when you get in to fly fishing paying upwards to $1000.00 each reel and rod. a abel 12 weight anti reverse reel will run you close to $1000 a good hardy spey rod same thing. $395 cheap no that's what is wrong with fly fishing it to stuffy and starched pompous people who do it. they think there the sole owners of the rivers and there head's are in the clouds. thinking others can do what they do and afford the same is wrong.

like you said the guy is a newbie why pay $395 for a specialized stick it just wrong. he has two choices large or small mouth for his rod what about gills , trout ,cat fish ,carp etc... you could get a okuma slv reel for 50 bucks a ok weight forward line 10-20 for a good line and a tfo rod 120 last i looked way cheaper. or a albright rod when the clearance them out in the fall i think i paid 59.99 for my a5 9 foot 10weight for salmon /salt and a meridian 8/9 weight for 39.99. salmon/ salt. were only here to suggest not force our views on people remember that.[/quote]
Paying upwards $1000 each rod and reel? Where the hell you shop?
$400 for a Sage Bluegill rod is just wrong? Get with the program dude. If you've never fished with one, I suggest you hold off on posting an opinion of it. The $400 also gets you some line.
Sure the guy can buy some crap from Walmart, but you get what you pay for.
[signature]
Thanks everyone for your input. you guys are a big help. I really appreciate it.
[signature]
hey bro.. the walmart crap got me into fly fishing.. LOL...

just as a side note here I love my sage launch that was the predecessor to the bass and crappie series of rods... to me sage is a great brand and worth the money spent...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]