Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
protecting your fishing investment
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Add expensive rods, reels, prescription eye wear and cameras to your household contents insurance under the special category that covers these items for loss, breakage or theft [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Using paint or permanent marker, put an identifying mark on every rod and reel you use. (Ordinary superglue is a good sealant that keeps the mark visible.) In the case of loss, theft or confusion you have an easy way to show ownership outside the home. The total premium of 2-3% p.a. is well worth it. [/size][/font]
[signature]

Hey there lonehunter,

A number of the saltwater and freshwater rods I have feature a butt cap. If you remove the butt cap, you'll be able to slip a piece of paper inside the blank that has your name, address, etc. then replace the cap (easy fix).

Imagine the look on some theiving idiots face when you catch them in the act, call the police and the theif thinks his word is as good as yours. THEN.... pop the butt cap in front of the cop showing him the slip of paper!!!! ha ha ha

He does not collect $500 but goes directly to jail!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool] Being in SoCal, we hear alot about theft and ways to safegaurd your things. There is one more way that I would like to contribute to those who may be interested. If you don't already have one, there are small electric engravers that you can use to inscribe your name, or social security number, or any other identifying factor about yourself in an inconspicuous area.

I like JRs idea about the removeable but cap for your rod. In addition, you can mark them on the shaft where the reel attaches to the handle. While your at it, the base of the reel can be marked as well in the same area that makes contact with the shaft. If there are any concerns about possible anodizing that may be on some reels and rods, you can use Lonehunters idea of the superglue to seal it afterwards or also a small amount of thread sealant that is used in rod building. Keep it safe out there and keep your stuff secure.
[signature]
Does engraving jeapordize the strength of the rod?

For those of you that have boats insured, it's a good idea to use the boat insurance to protect your gear as well. I know of a couple boat insurance companies that offer great theft insurance on your gear!
[signature]
cool idea ! i also thought of using a bright paint strip on the rod , then saling it with some wrap , that way it would be easy for others to spot as well .
[signature]
[cool]If you have a composite rod other than metal, you might want to put several coats of thread sealer in the area that you plan to engrave before you engrave it. Afterwards you can put some quick dry paint on top of the engraveing before puting a few more coats of clear sealer on top of that. Otherwise I could suggest engraving on the handle where the reel attaches and then coat it in the same way.
[signature]
I thought about that after I had sent the message. Makes sense to engrave in the area nearest the reel. I was thinking about putting info inside the handle of the rod... it won't work on mine. They're covered with the foam stuff all the way around the end. Hmmm. Great ideas though!
[signature]
[size 2]There is an invisible marking ink or paint you can buy through different security/police product stores that will only show up under uv light.[/size]

[size 2] When I worked for ARCO years ago as Security Supervisor we used it. Quick, easy and if you sold it later there was no engraving or anything which might make it less attractive or harder to sell.[/size]

[size 2] I cannot remember the name of it but I am sure if you look around you could find some.[/size]

[size 2] I am not big on putting my address on things and do not recommend it.[/size]

[size 2] Say like someone steals your seeker rods, calcutta reeks,etc and finds your address. [/size]

[size 2] We already know there thieves what's to stop them from coming to your home for more nice fishing stuff, Etc?[/size]

[size 2] As a former loss prevention if you put anything on it I would recommend drivers license # and name.[/size]

[size 2] Any law enforcement agency in the US can run your driver's license# and get you address[Wink][/size]

[size 2] Just an idea from an old SS.[/size]
[signature]
yea , why send them to your home too ! the license # is a good idea !
[signature]
Out here in the L.A. area there is alot of knuckleheads will find your social and next thing you know you have 2 cell phones in Bakersfield, a pair of jet skis in Chino, plus you work and live in San Diego (and I live in La). This happened to one of my buddies @ work and he is still clearing up this mess. Do not recommend either drivers lic # or especialy your social. If you don't believe this can happen take a drive down to 7th and Alvarado and a couple hundred bucks you'll come out with a birth certificate, new social, drivers lic and any other document your little heart desires. Please be careful out there its easier to areplace a reel than your credit. Unfortunately these knuckheads will continue to screw around, so we gotta be extra special.[mad]
[signature]
HELLO BIG GUS AND WELCOME TO THE BOARDS !

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP ON THE I.D. THEFT THING , MAYBE THE GUYS COULD PUT THERE CAR PLATE NUMBER ON IT .

WHERE DO YOU FISH AT MOSTLEY ?
[signature]
This year I burnt all my reserve bread on a two week baja trip in where anything that could go wrong with a car topper and an old outboard engine. I usually like headin oout of marina del rey but with all these restrictions i preferr to head down to ensenada. Another spot that is reaaly goo is in san quintin a few hours further down. the charge $10 for a room with a bed or if you dont mind camping then its a steal only $4 bucks a day. the beach is about 30-50 feet away you cant go wrong. But as for the fishing gear better safe than sorry and your initials with some of the wife's nail polish and some sealer or whatever they call that clear thing somewher not to ovious would do the trick
[signature]
[cool]yes it does hurt the rod and it will break. but it was still a good idea for fiberglass rods
[signature]
I mark rods I build, on the rod blank, near the handle, with drawing ink -- black on light colored rods, white on dark colored rods -- using a steel pen. After the ink dries, its covered with a two part rod finish. It ends up like the information you find near the handle on commercial made rods. The markings are long lasting and though removable with sanding, would probably be overlooked by a thief. I haven't thought to do this with rods I buy, but because of your reminders now plan to.
[signature]