Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Finder for Canoe, Utah Lake, etc.
I am new to Utah and looking forward to fishing our local lakes. I'll probably fish Utah Lake the most because it is close by and I would like to do a fair amount of catfishing. I just purchased a square stern canoe and have a little 3 hp motor. I have never owned a fish finder, but that is probably my next big purchase.

Any suggestions on what to look for? Do they even work in the shallow waters of Utah lake? Is side scanning effective for these types of waters or is it still buggy and cost prohibitive?

Ideally something simple to operate is best for me, as I wont use most features if the learning curve is too steep, or if it takes constant tweaking. I'd also like something that could be used for ice fishing as well. I am leaning towards color only because I am told it is much easier to see. Is that correct or over rated?

Anyhow, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
bobwhitebarry
[signature]
I don't have much experience with fish finders but I purchased a lowrance x67 ice machine this last winter and love it! One thing about this finder that you may like is you can purchase a separate transducer that will shoot right through the hull of your boat. However you do not need this transducer if you can mount the supplied transducer to your boat. If youre looking for a good all around finder for all seasons you may want to look into this one. Hope this helps [Smile]
[signature]
I have a Lowrance 68 (w/GPS) that I use both for ice fishing and as the cockpit sounder on my bass boat. I also just tested using it on my kayak. The ice fishing transducer hangs straight down. I also tested it through the hull and it is completely accurate (except for temperature). I think I'll probably rig a pcp/pool noodle rig to use off the side rather than mounting it inside the kayak.
[signature]
I have a 15' canoe with a trolling motor, and an eagle cuda 300 fish finder. Use it on Pineview all the time. It costed about 80 bucks and a trolling motor mount from Minn-Kota was 20 bucks at sportsmans. I really like the simple use and operation as well as the trolling motor mount. If you want to, you can buy a suction cup mount so you dont have to drill holes.
[signature]
Do you know where to buy a suction cup mount ? By the way, welcome to the site.
WH2
[signature]
The cheapest way I found to get a suction cup mount was to order through amazon.
[signature]