Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OCD 420L Setup in Progress
So It's been a little while that i've been trying to setup this thing up. Finally got it to the stage where I could prob post some pics and possibly get some feed back before it's all said and done. Took a few different ideas from everyone on here and put em to good use. I decided to go with 1 1/4" SC40 piping for the rod holders just for some extra strength and I have some rods with big foam handles that don't quite fit in the 1" SC20 so. The transducer will be held on by a pin that's sitting on the ground yet. fully detachable so you just swing it up, slide it off the rest, back down 90 Degrees and reinsert the pin so it's locked and not moving in the water. Haven't been able to work on the wiring yet for that, but I do know all the wiring will be "hidden" inside the piping, transducer & power. The battery box I picked up from Sportsmans the other day. It's just a Survival Dry box. I'm going to build a detachable Platform so to speak, held together by the same pins shown so I can remove the whole setup if need be. That will be at the nose (front) of the tube, that the box will sit right on top of. Not exactly sure how I'm going to do it but. I don't like the idea of the battery just "floating" in the nose of the tube. Looking for some suggestions on that part. The FishFinder mount was kind of interesting to build. Went through a few ideas, and it just evolved into what you see. Took a plastic cutting board from Wal-mart, cut it into a 4x4 square, drilled a whole through the middle to run wiring through the piping, attach a 3/4 to 1 1/4 bushing, then inserted a 1" plug that fit inside the bushing, glued it all together and BAM! Well kinda, the PVC glue didn't quite hold the fitting on the cutting board so. I removed all the glue, roughed it up even more for something to grab/melt more, and added some angle for extra support. Which will be wrapped with some electrical tape when I'm all done. That's about all I got right now! Enjoy!

[Image: TubePics01.jpg][Image: TubePics02.jpg][Image: TubePics03.jpg][Image: TubePics04.jpg][Image: TubePics05.jpg][Image: TubePics06.jpg][Image: TubePics07.jpg][Image: TubePics08.jpg][Image: TubePics09.jpg][Image: TubePics10.jpg][Image: TubePics11.jpg][Image: TubePics12.jpg][Image: TubePics13.jpg][Image: TubePics14.jpg][Image: TubePics15.jpg][Image: TubePics16.jpg][Image: TubePics17.jpg][Image: TubePics18.jpg][Image: TubePics19.jpg][Image: TubePics20.jpg][Image: TubePics21.jpg][Image: TubePics22.jpg][Image: TubePics23.jpg][Image: TubePics24.jpg]
[signature]
Looks nice, though it does look a bit too shinny, new and clean... [Wink] Time to get it dirty and well used! [sly]
[signature]
Looks great ! Just keep going.

Peter
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You have been busy. Looks like some good engineering. But as always the proof will be in how it performs for you on the water. Most of us never stop messin' with our designs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Suggestion on the battery holder. Check an office supply store for small card file folder boxes...if they still make them. That's what I used for a long time when I used to use the acid-filled motorcycle batteries. Kept them upright and protected. But there are lots of different plastic sealable containers sold in the kitchen sections of most stores that will hold batteries too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck and keep us posted on further developments. Better yet, let's go fishing and I can see how it works.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the comments! Excited to finally get this thing done after watching it sit for 3 weeks. Gotta love finals. Hopefully it performs GREAT on the water. Anythings better then getting in and out of my donut style tube Wink

On the battery, I have a holder for it, that is waterproof (see pics) but I still don't trust it. I have to drill a small whole into it somewhere, then re-seal the whole. As well as line the inside with foam to keep it secure inside the box. But I still don't trust it getting wet. So my intent is to, like i said, build a little self, you could say, that covers the nose of the tube. Put something flat and solid, then screw the box to it, just so it will be completely out of the water, eliminating one potential hazard. But my idea is to make everything removable/portable.

One thing that's concerning me right now with it. I blew the thing up, let it sit over night for a few nights, and it seems to be loosing air. Not a lot of air, but enough to be concerned. Curious if that's how all of them are or if this one has a hole/seam coming apart somewhere. I haven't blow this thing up to the point of really even being "FIRM" yet. So if the seam is coming apart already with now much I've blown it up, definitely got a problem.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Make sure the valves are properly seated before airing and air it up to the max. Spray some soapy water around the valves to be sure they are not leaking. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Otherwise, the loss of pressure could be simply due to cooling off during the night. Depends on where you air it up and how high the temps are at that time, and then how much it cools off before you check it again. And if it was not fully inflated to begin with the shrinkage will be even more noticeable.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It goes both ways. If you air your tube up tight in the morning...when it is cool...it will swell up and get very tight when the sun hits it and it warms up later. The reverse is true if you launch in the late afternoon...in the heat...and then stay on the water after the sun drops down and it gets cooler. A tight tube cover can go to a wrinkled one quickly when there is a drop in temperaturs. Just something you have to learn about each tube as you go on more trips.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Did you lose air on both sides?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, if you have a SLA battery you should not have to worry about getting it wet...unless you submerge it while it is hooked up. A bit of "incidental" splash or light bottom dunking will not affect it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Now I have one question. I have ben using Lead core acid filled regular old weigh a ton batteries for over a quarter of a century, but I have always used a Battery box. It has air holes. I know people put this type of battery in Ice chest, but again, make an air hole with the wiring.
Am I wrong in assuming that these type of batteries NEED this?

And SatanLBZ801, I know personally, one other person that "HAD" this same tube. All I can say is keep an eye on it and good luck.

Very nice tutorial however, keep up the good work.
[signature]
Totally understand about the change of pressure from going cold to warm/hot and pressure increasing/decreasing. I fill this up in my AC'd basement. Temperature hasn't changed minus maybe 3-5 degrees during the day and sun hasn't hit it. I've just been using one of those Battery powered air mattress pumps to blow the thing up. And it doesn't get the bladders very "firm." How firm are they supposed to be before you start having to worry about the seams pulling apart? I don't have a pressure gauge rigged up on anything right now. Just gotta go off of feel. I will have to pull the bladders out and do some inspecting... Stupid I would even have to worry about it with a brand new item tho.

The main thing i'm worried about with the battery is the connection point. Which I was going to put in the box then RTV seal around the opening inside and out. I just know that the battery sitting in the nose of that tube will most likely be under water the whole time unless I add some bumpers or something to keep it up. Which I could also do.

Another question, are those little batteries enough to run a 30lb thrust Minn-Kota for 4-5 hours? It's a 3 amp-12Ah. As well, is a 30lb more then enough to push a 200# tube around.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I am guessing that the reason for venting a battery box is to release any potential acid fumes that excape from the caps. Otherwise you could get a blast of the fumes in your face when opening the container. With the sealed (maintenance free) batteries like my AGM there is virtually no escape of fumes into the atmosphere and little need for venting. They are installed in airless environments and run with no problems.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That being said, a protective battery box is good for protection against something conductive (metal) being accidentally dropped across the battery and shorting out both posts. ZAP. Humans are also conductive and if people make the connection it is "shocking".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Might be some other good reasons but I can't think of any. Unless you are into decorative and find a pretty pink one. Pink clashes with my nail polish.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Those little air mattress pumps are okay to get the tube partially filled but do not have enough pressure to properly "top off your tank". Get a good double action hand pump. It only takes a couple of minutes to fill your tube from flat to functional and it will firm it up as much as you need.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another factor in your observed air loss might be that those little pumps start heating up as the pressure increases and they have to work harder. You probably pumped in warm air and it shrunk when it cooled.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't pull the bladders and go through all that until you are sure there IS a leak. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you plan to add a motor you will also need a big deep cycle battery...series 24 or 27. Figure on another 40 to 60 pounds of weight. The little SLA batteries will run a sonar for quite a few hours but they draw very little power. A 30# thrust motor will suck a big battery dry much faster on a float tube than it will on a pontoon or small boat...because it is dragging you THROUGH the water...not skimming over it. I have never completely drained my series 27 battery but I do not run it wide open for hours either. It is an auxiliary power source for making longer moves or getting back in against the wind.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You might plan on bringing down what you have so far and taking a closer look at what I have set up. Some things are possible but others require a bit more codgertation and engineering.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That's exactly what I was thinking. There was no way, that the mattress pump was getting that tube to the right firmness it needed to be and possibly over inflating the bladders. I had a double action pump that came with the tube, it just doesn't have the right attachments to go into the Valves. Imagine that. Something they include with the tube, doesn't work without buy/fabbin up a fitting to make it work. Crazy!

I was expecting that answer on the SLA battery for the motor but just double checking... I'm not quite sure that I want to go that route just yet. I'm still young and need some good exercise. Kickin the good ol' fins might just do the trick for a while until I get sick of it.

I've been trying to find time to make it down to "Fishin Heaven" aka, your palace, to check out a few things. Been way busier lately then I have ever wanted to be, that's for sure. Been struggling to even find time to get on the water. I'll get there tho! Slowly but surely Wink
[signature]
Nice mods. Now on your tube what do the valves look liike? You can probably make an adaptor to fit the double actiion pump to fit the valves. For me it was a just a pice of plactic tubing.
[signature]
Taken from Creek Company's website.

http://creekcompany.com/product.php?prod...251&page=1

Tube came with this adapter to... That doesn't help me at all.

http://creekcompany.com/product.php?prod...251&page=2
[signature]
easy enough. most double action pumps don't need an apaptor for the boston valve. The main part of the hose (nozzle) will fit snugly inside the valve itself. The pumps I use are all the same whether they are coleman, stansport or whatever, the hose still fits. I use it on my wifes SC4 and a rubber raft all the time. Also my nephew has a Grigg boat and they have the same valves.
[signature]
same here. My K-Pump fits anything.
[signature]
I have several of the ODCs like yours and they have held up well under constant use over a couple of years. Best brand for the fishing I do, which is 80% packin to creeks and rivers. Nothing else even comes close to the periodically discounted price, since you get light weight, quality and reliability.

The big cylindrical adapter is the one that fits your boston valve. The tapered end goes into the valve once you remove the square cap and the other cylindrical end goes into the hose for the hand pump.

I've had friends test good 9v batteries by placing the points across their moist Tongue. But that same 9v battery will knock a man down when amplified to 10,000v in a stun gun, so I think you need considerably higher voltages than 12v or even 36v, to be dangerous from shocking. Bridging the battery terminals with a metal object is an instant fire hazard as TD pointed out. The venting is mainly for releasing hydrogen gas which is very flammable and powerfully explosive if ignited while confined- like what happened in the Japanese nuclear plant.

Hope this helps.

Pon

[quote SatanLBZ801]Taken from Creek Company's website.

[url "http://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16174&cat=251&page=1"]http://creekcompany.com/...p;cat=251&page=1[/url]

Tube came with this adapter to... That doesn't help me at all.

[url "http://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16254&cat=251&page=2[/quote]"]http://creekcompany.com/...&page=2[/quote][/url]
[signature]
Thank you Pontoonman for shedding some light on my noobness. FYI, the adapter fits just fine and dandy! Once you take the plastic filter dilliothingymajigger out Smile I failed to see that the first time. NOW, she's fully pumped up and we'll see if it's really leaking air or it I was just high from the cement glue that night Smile

Every review I've read on this tube has been awesome... Sure there's been problems, always will be... I can get a new bladder for $60, or the "strong" outer shell for $120... I'm not really worrying about it much.
[signature]
Sealed batteries (no caps) can work even while submerged, though its not a good arrangement. You probably want to keep them from moving around. Airtight box probably not a good idea, if overcharging might occur while in a sealed box condition.

On my tube, I use a pinch test about 2 inches back from the extreme fabric tips of the two separated tube ends, for the proper inflation. It should be quite difficult to pinch the top and bottom together together so it touches between the thumb and forefinger, but it can be done. Both sections of the Boston valve must be tightened quite snugly (but not stripped) to keep the tubes inflated, so no leaks over several months. Seam splitting, thread or fabric yielding hasn't happened on my oldest, well worn tubes even when stored months in slightly overinflated condition. But the best way to store is very slightly inflated, if you have enough storage space.

Pon

[quote SatanLBZ801]Thanks for the comments! Excited to finally get this thing done after watching it sit for 3 weeks. Gotta love finals. Hopefully it performs GREAT on the water. Anythings better then getting in and out of my donut style tube Wink

On the battery, I have a holder for it, that is waterproof (see pics) but I still don't trust it. I have to drill a small whole into it somewhere, then re-seal the whole. As well as line the inside with foam to keep it secure inside the box. But I still don't trust it getting wet. So my intent is to, like i said, build a little self, you could say, that covers the nose of the tube. Put something flat and solid, then screw the box to it, just so it will be completely out of the water, eliminating one potential hazard. But my idea is to make everything removable/portable.

One thing that's concerning me right now with it. I blew the thing up, let it sit over night for a few nights, and it seems to be loosing air. Not a lot of air, but enough to be concerned. Curious if that's how all of them are or if this one has a hole/seam coming apart somewhere. I haven't blow this thing up to the point of really even being "FIRM" yet. So if the seam is coming apart already with now much I've blown it up, definitely got a problem.[/quote]
[signature]
I still recommend a gauge specially when there is more than one air bladder. Would NOT believe the difference it can make.
BUT, a good gauge will run about half the price of some tubes[Wink]
[signature]
Annnnddddd...... I think I'm pretty much done. Other then the accessory holders, which I'm still Undecided what I want to go in em so.

My rig for making a straight up for the rod holders! Worked extremely well! Gotta love chop saws Smile

[Image: TubePics25.jpg]
[Image: TubePics26.jpg]

This is what I was meaning with the "platform" aka cutting board, man I love those things, which is all fully detachable if needed. Running power wire is kind of a bugger so, not sure exactly how much I'll be taking it apart. But it can be if it needs to be or to remove the fishfinder when ice fishing comes around.

[Image: TubePics27.jpg]

The rest is just some olds and ends I took finishing her up and then the final product of course! The whole setup, with me, minus poles, fins, and a cooler of some sort weighs 217lbs dry. Prob weigh around 240 loaded up on the water I'd guess so. Not to shaby! It's definitely time to get this baby out on the water! Thankfully, we're hitting East Canyon this weekend with the family camping! I'll bring back another report of how she performs and hopefully not say I'm taking it all apart and changing everything. Smile

[Image: TubePics28.jpg]
[Image: TubePics30.jpg]
[Image: TubePics31.jpg]
[Image: TubePics32.jpg]
[Image: TubePics33.jpg]
[Image: TubePics34.jpg]
[Image: TubePics35.jpg]
[Image: TubePics36.jpg]
[Image: TubePics37.jpg]
[Image: TubePics38.jpg]
[Image: TubePics39.jpg]
[Image: TubePics40.jpg]