Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
switch rod
Within the next year I want to have a decent slatwater rod and I am really leaning toward a switch rod. It seems, from what Ive read, that a switch rod will be the best for saltwater fishing because you have more line control and you can get bigger casts. I cant spend a fortune on a rod but I was just looking for suggestions on brands that have good switch rods. Also I am contemplating buying a kit and building my own. I think it is something I would enjoy doing and it would save a little money. Is this a feasable plan? I have never built a rod but I enjoy working with my hands and I feel I could handle it.
[signature]
Good luck.
[signature]
I believe I am going to build a fairly cheap rod to start out with. That way if it goes bad Im not out a lot of money. It will just be something to give me some practice. Probably a small rod, a 2 or 3 wt. Id like to have something small to play around with it the small streams around where I live.
[signature]
You remind me so much of me several years ago so I feel a need to "caution" you ..

Take it easy a go step by step .. since you are just starting out say with what you have and don't jump to quickly to something else .. I always find myself saying I need this or that after reading posts here and have to sit myself down and ask if I really need this or that ..

There aren so many wonderfuls variations of everything fly fishing it's easy to get caught up in things .. Just ask FG how many times she has talked me out f something that would be fun but I really did not need

I am not. A saltwater expert but I think a heavier switch rod would be great for surf fishing. Maybe an 8-9 wt..you may want to check our saltwater forum to see if anyone can give insight...

As for rod building take some time and check out different forums to figure out what it takes to build a rod. I have two custom made rods where I bought the kits or blanks and a good friend assembled it all for me and I love the rods.. :-)

Good luck .. :-)

MacFly
[signature]
Great advice for any of us, Macfly! I have been fly fishing for a lot of years and I always have these NEEDS!! Oh well, maybe that is part of the charm of the sport --- to always be looking to improve and wishing.
[signature]
I think we all get caught up in that NEED thing :-) ..

My son in law and five year old grand daughter and I hit a small stream here in TN and had a blast catching gill and sun fish on 40.00 all in one pfleuger kits we bought several years ago .. Goes to show that quality does nt always cost an arm and a leg .. :-) q

MacFly
[signature]
We are talking about this on another forum.
The topic was about the new Sage "The One" rod. There was one post on this ridiculous thread that really hit the nail on the head.
You just said it Mac. Different type of fishing.
For my deep nymphing or fishing small streams where presentation means absolutely nothing, then YES you can go with a twig and string if you want.
But now you move up to technical rivers and even gin clear ponds...not to mention the famous Montana Gulpers that you need to be able to lay a tiny dry down so delicate at up to 60'.
Add to that, you need to be able to do this all day long.

That is where the upper end rods, the skilled craftsmen, the technology of not only new tapers but new material. Cost of living and there is your price.

Now keep in mind...that expensive rod can do the deep nymphing and small streams as well......
Come on, even spin and bait fishermen/women are spending more for GREAT gear. I am a true believer that it DOES mean you will catch more fish.
[signature]
No doubt better equipment used as they were designed will increase your take but you have to add in experience,practiced skills such as you and many others on this forum have to that as well...

My point was that you can get a good combo to beat around with and leran basic skills before getting that better rod and reel .. plus that wil, give someone time to learn what edits them best for the Type of fishing and species of fish they target ...

So many varieties of lines and rods and reels to choose from .. So many varying fishing conditions and species .. Course that is part af what makes this sport so fun and challenging and satisfying .... :-)

Course it always helps to have people n forums like this to ask questions of .....:-)

MacFly
[signature]