Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Bait
[cool] Do you use Power Bait? How many colors do you normally cary with you?

Do the fish in your area change thier color preference from time to time?

I use power bait once in awhile. I carry roughly 18 colors in a kit mostly because in some areas, the trout will change color preference about every 20 minutes. What is your experience with Power Bait?
[signature]
[size 2][size 1]Hello tubn2,[/size]

[size 1]Very interesting question (and timely). I went to the trout opener at Santa Ana River lakes last Thursday and came to the conclusion that Power Bait has a contract with the fisheries.[/size]

[size 1]Here's my theory: Powerbait supplies fisheries free food and they get to select the color![/size]

[size 1]The reason I came to this conclusion is because I thought I had just about every color powerbait ever made but was fishing Thursday with my usually tried and true "Rainbow Sparkle" to no avail. I proceeded to try every color I had, still nothing. [/size]

[size 1]After talking to my neighbors who were slaying the trout, they gave me some orange powerbait and some blue powerbait that I had never seen (either color). They said the only place you could buy it was Wal mart.[/size]

[size 1]It all seemed very suspicious to me, so as I waited for the 2 trout that these colors did produce I hatched this elaborate theory of how all these guys were involved in some huge financial partnership. Sounds silly but that's what happens when I fish alone, I have a bit of an active imagination.[/size]

[size 1]That's my 2 cents. Well maybe 1?[/size][/size]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Sounds more like you have some paranoia issue's there Angler[Wink][sly]
[signature]
LOL! I prefer to call it an active imagination.

It'd be pretty funnty if I was right though?? Think about that for a minute, it would be a great business move. Its a win/win for the fisheries and powerbait, even the consumer wins once they figure out that years magic color. Heck, I think I'm going to pitch it to powerbait (see active imagination). [center][cool][cool][cool][cool][cool][cool][cool][cool][cool][cool][cool][cool][/center]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
I think you are right on target here, (no I dont mean the target store)

fish can be trained to behave accordingly, in other words when they are kept in schools they can massivly be tought to eat at a certain time of the day, what to eat and yes even a color prefferance.

if any one dose not beleive this they can try it in a fish bowl, get a goldfish feed them every day at the same time for a month, then one day feed them 6 hours early and use a different fish food. you will be surprized to see the fish wont eat. but if at the regular feeding time you throw the accustomed food at the accustomed time they will eat even thoug you fed them 6 hours earlier.

this works with any house pet you have, or any farm animal for that matter. they know what time the chow is commng and they know what it is suspost to look like and taist like. if you throw something different in to their plate they will turn and look at you like what is this?

my sumation is that the little round power baits have been around for the last twenty years and we have about twenty different colors. not to mention that they chance the color of the feed at the fish farm every year so the jar you bought last year dosnt work this year.

every body got to have an angle. .lol....
[signature]
[cool] That is so true Dave. I have been to places where there are planter trout that are accustomed to just one color. Once you practice catch and release a few times you will notice that the fish will also associate a color with a bad experience. Therefore your orange glitter that was so attractive at one point will be a red flag for them on the next go around.

Other fish may still hit on it but cautiously because they see the ones in there that have had the bad experience. Therefore the amount of different colors can be necessary in certain areas.
[signature]
[cool]Hey releaseit, hi and welcome to the board. I would be truly suprised if every angler had only one lure in his tackle box and could get that same lure to work at every single fishing hole in his/her state. It will not happen.

Why are there so many colors, designs, patterns, textures and sizes of lures out there? Because the fish have their own sense of what is appealing to them.

Can you catch a bluegill on a plastic worm big enough for a 20lb LMB to consume? Probably not. Can you catch a 20lb LMB on a renegade pattern fishing fly?? Probably not.

You will probably notice one day, if you already haven't that each species of fish in each body of water in each state will have their own preference of what they like.

Take a look around the next time you go into your bait and tackle shop or your local sporting goods store. Do you see one color and one color only???? NO! There are hundred of different colors, sizes, shapes, textures and scents available. Not to forget the action on certain lures and bait.

You have lures that float, sink, dive, wiggle, rattle, buzz and swim. Why??? Because the fish have different likings. Open your mind just a little bit there pal and you will see there is no paranoia. We as anglers call it variety. If you are one of those one worm, one hook, one sinker types, then I have alot to learn. Other wise, we don't go around and try to slam other people because we have a difference of opinion.

Please try to be less obtrussive with your comments in the future. You might just happen to slam a moderator or administrator and your funny little joke can be deleted in a heart beat.

So, lets shake hands like men and lets all enjoy this site together like fellow anglers who like to share their experiences and love of their sport.[cool]
[signature]
i myself prefer to fish lures doesn't mean i don't carry some power bait in my box though i recently bought some turbo power nuggets red with a soft white center and the trout where jumping on it so fast i coundn't sit and relax between bites !!! of course they were all little 10" planter bows still i would prefer to use lures as i did earlier this week at a local lake i may have caught on three cuttrout trout but the smallest was 16" and the largest was 27 1/4 " ( released ) not bad for a native not hatchery bred brood fish

chris
[signature]
Thanks
[signature]