Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Type of Fish in the Surf - Myrtle Beach
Last year, I did some surf fishing in Myrtle Beach in August and I was wondering what is the bait fish that are schooling on the surface just off the beach and visable from my room? Can you catch them or is it better to taget what is possibly underneath them?

Also, what species might be under these schooling fish in late August?

Last year, I caught a few pin fish when these schools were not around. I was thinking of cutting them this year and trying for something larger. Good idea?

I also have a few surface plugs that I am going to have on stand by when these schools show up.

Thanks!!!!
[signature]
There are two types of bait fish that roam the surf in the summer: Menhaden and Mullet. The Schools of bait that form a tight group, moving in circles, and appear to be a moving dark spot in the surf is Menhaden. The strait running schools of fish that look like silver bombers flying through the surf is the mullet. Both are excellent baits, but the mullet is more hardy. Menhaden are very difficult to keep alive, but make wonderful cut bait; as does the mullet. The only way to catch either is with a cast net. Be learly wading in the surf, however. You don't want to be the idiot that gets bitten by a shark or bluefish, because you waded into a school of baitfish. Get your bait and get out, this isn't sea world. [Wink] Best case scenario, cast net them from the safety of a pier. You'll need to add some rope to your net, but you'll be safe from predators, and you'll have the advantage of a high vantage point; which with the application of a good set of polarized sunglasses, will let you see the bait on overcast days, where you wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

It's honestly hard to say what might be lurking in the surf. Sharks, red and black drum, flounder, mackerel, pompano, spots, whiting, and what ever else is in the area and hungry. The best practice is to cast your line past the breakers, and you have a chance at all of those. You can toss a shiney lure while you're waiting on your live or cut bait rod to get a bite. Bluefish and mackerel love shiney lures. You'll need a steel leader, unless you are using a spoon. Diving lures won't work from the surf, for obvious reasons.

Pinfish are better live baits than cut bait, IMHO. Bluefish make excellent cut bait as well. If you have equipment heavy enough, I would suggest tossing a live pinfish in the surf on a carolina rig, and waiting it out. You might score big with a bull drum or a huge flounder. [cool]

Oh, and welcome to the site!
[signature]
Thanks for the response! That does help in identifying the bait fish in that area. I have seen these huge pods from the shore and the hotel and I really wondered what they were. Thanks again!

Now, given that info and your lure suggestion, I have purchased 2 different topwater lures in different colors that I think might work, but maybe you can share your thoughts...

a red head, silver bodied "popper-type" Matzuo lure, 2.5 oz &
an imitation stipper 2.8 oz with a swivel head

I was thinking of having them on standby when these pods move down the beach to cast and hopefully get some attention. I have a 6in wire leader...good idea?

When they are not present, I was going to use an up and down, 2 hook rig with some sort of either gulp or shrimp or something, just to have something out deeper.

Also, I am bringing with me 2 rods that I am going to have for either pins or flounder rigs (shrimp imitation with small blade) to mess with while waiting around for the deeper rig.

Good plan? Any thoughts or suggestions?
[signature]
Using cut bait, shrimp, or sand fleas for bait is fine with a standard two hook drop rig. If you are using live bait, use a carolina rig and hook the bait through the back.

I'm not sure about the lures you're talking about. My personal opinion is you're going to have the best luck with a heavy spoon. But, it never hurts to try something new.

You really don't need a wire leader quite that long. You want the shorted leader you can get away with. The fish that hit those lures have exceptional eye sight, so keep that in the back of your mind. That again, is a big advantage to using a spoon. The hook is on the bottom of the rig, so thier teeth won't be near the leader when hooked.

If you start catching fish, you won't have time to use all the rods you're talking about. If it were me, I'd have a heavier surf rod with a live bait on one side in spike rod holder, and on the other side, i'd be in a lawn chair holding the rod baited with cut bait, shrimp, or what ever.

Come prepared for anything, and you'll find a system that works best for you. Just consider what i'm telling you, and be ready to change up. You're ability to adjust to the situation, especially being stuck on the bank, will determine if you're going to catch anything or not.
[signature]
I certainly hear what you are saying 100%. My goal everytime I fish, especially on vacation, is to catch one fish while i am there...that is over the 10 days. To me, being "on the water" is enjoyment and catching at least one fish, no matter the size, is just icing on the cake. i take my gear and the sport very seriously, but at the same time, i enjoy fishing! And now i enjoy it even more with my 4 year old son who started last year and continues to go with me.

All in all, I want to have as best of a chance to catch somethig and you helped in that respect. i thank you for that.

Tight lines to you and all our friends!!!

Many blessings!
Mike
[signature]
Well, I hoped I helped a little. Time will tell. It's tough surf fishing. From a boat, you can move around until you find the fish, from the bank, you're just hoping they come to you.

My son just turned 5, so I know what you're saying. Pretty darn cool to see him reeling up fish on his own. The part about teaching him how to cast a reel is kind of scarey, and at times painful, but it's still fun. LOL!!!! My little boy hasn't learned the fine art of finness, so he's just as likely to hook you in the back as he is to actually get the line in the water. Good times..... [Image: happy.gif]

Just make sure what ever rod and reel combo you're using fits the bill. You don't want to surf fish with a zebco 33. You need 20 pound gear and it needs to hold 200 yards of line or more. If you hook into a large Drum or a shark even, a lesser outfit will just leave you lineless or with a broke rod.

I don't live far from MB, and I grew up in the area. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
[signature]
Bryan,
Thanks for everything over the last few days. I hear ya on the tackle side. Like I mentioned, I am bringing a little lighter tackle for the pins so maybe my little guy will help his dad with a fish or two. That would be awesome!!!

I am coming down from August 18th to the 28th. We stay Compass Cove so I will be on the beach most mornings early, right outside of the hotel. this has been a favorite spot for us for years and plan to return around the same time each year.

Shoot me a message if you are going to be around during that time.

Have a great day and I can't wait for the night of the 17th to get on the road heading South!!!
[signature]
I shot you over a message. I might be able to get down that way in that time frame. If nothing else, maybe head to dead dog and have a beer, and i'll show you a few tricks. Glad I could help man. When it gets closer to that time, PM me and i'll shoot over my cell number. [cool]
[signature]
Here is one of the two lures I bought to mess with from the beach [url "http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130208531031&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130208531031&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT[/url]

let me know if the link works and what you think of the lure. I had great success last year with red and white combination that I thought this would be perfect.

Thanks!
[signature]
That's a pretty sweet looking lure. I've never tried top water stuff from the surf, but i'd go for it and see what happens. Remember, you need to get it past the breakers to honestly do much good. This is where wade fishing would probably come to play. I'd be interested in knowing how it worked. [Smile]
[signature]
I will certainly let you know how i make out with that. I am planning on having that ready to go as soon as I step out of the hotel. Again, I am going to work to get something live first, but that is going to be my stand by bait to get to the pods of baitfish and hopefully stir up a topwater bite. While fishing last year, I could see the bait fish, especially in the evening, getting smoked on top and I had nothing in my back pocket to get to them or entice them!

With less than a month to go, I can't wait to get there!
[signature]
Just don't forget about live bait. You can catch mullet pretty easy, and they'll stay alive for a while in an aireated bucket. That is honestly the best thing you can put out there. [Wink]
[signature]
If I am going to use cut bait, can I get away with a 2oz pyramid sinker on an up and down rig? Would that be too much if i was using live bait?
Thanks!
Mike
[signature]
On a standard two hook drop rig, from the surf, i'd go with a three or even 4 ounce sinker. The current is going to rip right there, and you really want your line to stay put as best as possible. This is an example of a standard two hook drop rig for fishing dead bait:

[Image: double-hook-bottom-rig.jpg]

For live bait, like mehaden or mullet, I prefer a carolina style rig. The bait won't stay perfectly stationary like with the two hook drop rig, but it doesn't need to. When you get a bite on the live bait rod, there will be no question. And you want it to move around and cover ground a little bit. I'd use a 2 or 3 ounce egg sinker on your carolina rig. I pasted a picture of a carolina style rig below, which is also sometimes called a fish finder rig. Note that they are not using an egg sinker for this particular rig, and that's fine. And egg sinker, or the fish finder slip with a bank sinker, either way will work. Just match your leader test and hook to the bait you're using, and you'll be fine.

[Image: fishfinderherringriglg.jpg]
[signature]
OH, and unlike the picture, you do not need a 5' leader for inshore fishing. A 18 to 24" leader is just fine. I recommend the leader be Fluorocarbon, or at least clear monofilament fishing line.
[signature]
Thanks again for your knowledge. I just keep thinking about fishing on vacation and trying everything possible to get a bite or two!

thanks!!!
Mike
[signature]
No problem. I drink Land Shark in the bottle, and will be down the week of your vacation to collect and get a fishing report. [Wink]
[signature]