Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trailer upkeep?
Having just put on a new axle on my 6 year old trailer that lost a bearing and grease buddy, what do you guys do to keep it from happening again. I grease it a couple of times a season, but the marina says I will only get 5-7 years on a trailer. I use it mostly for salt water and hose it down well when I get back in. I just can't believe such a short span of life.
[signature]
1 or 2 times a season isn't going to cut it, running in the salt bro. When I had my Aquasport, I greased mine after every trip, to push out the saltwater. Best practice, if you have a bit of a run to get home, is to hit it at the ramp, after you pull it out of the water for the day. It only takes a second.

Think about it. Grease looses mass as it heats up. After that second or third trip to the water, that salt has effectively made resident in your bearings and spindle. You can prevent it with a quick shot of grease after each trip. You're not only pushing out the water, but you're replacing the salt contaminated grease with fresh grease.

I also use to go around my trailor and spot brush the rust, and hit it with cold galv. I did it quite often, to insure the surface rust didn't break the surface.

I know you dropped major coin on the trailor repairs. I think you told me like 500 bucks. If you do the extra greasing and spot checking, that trailor will last you a hell of a lot longer than 5 or 6 years.
[signature]
I'll be greasing it every trip now. My trip home from there is one hour to my door, so maybe a shot before I leave the ramp isn't a bad idea. Thanks Bryon.
[signature]
another thing is a hot bearing draws water in when you back into the water,one other thing is you should pull the the wheels,and hubs off every spring and clean and inspect the bearings and spindle.make sure there isnt any rust,or pitting.replace the seals'if you need any help on doing this i can give you a hand.

if you us just water to hose down everything the saltwater still leaves a residue,that is corrosive.i use saltaway.on everything and works great

also make sure the grease your useing is wheel bearing grease.there is alot of different kinds out on the market.most are too thin .wheel bearing grease is thik and tacky and is ment for extrem heat
[signature]
I forgot about the grease, good point Tom. All the grease should have their dropping point on the label. That's the Temp that the grease starts to liquify. Make sure and get a marine grade grease with a high dropping point. I think the magic number is 850 degrees or better. [Smile]
[signature]
Saltaway sounds like a real good idea. The hubs must be real hot after an hour of riding. Thanks for the tip Tom.
[signature]