Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any ideas on new rod and reel?
i am saving up my money and buying a new rod and reel. I found a reel i want but I want your guy's opinion. What companys should i look for that have warranties, and a history of good rods or reel.
Thanks
[signature]
what are you looking for baitcaster or openfaced? this is just my opinion but i think abu garcia is a good brand to buy. you know not to expensive but not cheap either say 60- 80 dollars for some. check em out
[signature]
Diawa and shimano seem to lead the pack. But no matter who you like the more money the better the reel. When shopping, pickup a $125.00 reel and see how smooth it is compared to one thats $60
[signature]
What I would do edgy is look around, research on the net, find out what gear ratio you want, makes a BIG difference when cranking. If you are looking for an open face spincast some come with a spare spool, (invaluable because you and easily carry say 6lb on one for soft plastic, and 10lb on the other for cranking, or if you get spooled your day isn't over.
What I did is went with a good name, Mitchell. I really liked the fact that they also had a spare spool. I got my first one and liked it, got another for a backup. Wal-Mart put them on sale (I figured because they were coming out with another model) so I grabbed up like 4 more $18. Same with poles I found what kind of action you want, fast (stiffer) or slow (more limber) and get one you like. Again I found a rod (Shakespere Excursion) from wally world that had just the action I wanted, I would have paid ten times what I gave for them, and they went on sale too... $12.00!
I have a friend that only goes with the $125.00 reels and poles also, I suppose the more expensive equipment does makes a difference, but I am a cheap bastard (excuse my telling the truth) lose one in the lake and you would rather have the $35 setup! I only purchased the better reels twice in my lifetime. Diawa mini mite (Early 80's) and a Shimmano Curado Baitcast (Late 90's) both still work, but are seriously outdated... I could have used that money other places...
Edge what ever you decide man have a good one...
LBD
[signature]
personally I just bought an Abu Garcia Revo MGX and Villain rod combo, best purchase I've made in a long time, i highly recommend trying it out for yourself if your willing to spend a little more
[signature]
I have decided to stick with what i got for the rest of the season becuase i dont fish during the winter. And i always get money for christmas, about 400-500 dollars Smile so thats going towards fishing. I was thinking about buying a baitcaster but the last one i had i failed at it and i dont want to spend money on a good baitcaster and not like it. Should i maybe buy my expensive spinning reel and maybe a baitcaster rod and reel combo for like 30 bucks at walmart?
[signature]