Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod Building
I have had two rod blanks in my possession for years and I am ready to do something with them. I am hoping to buy a video to get me started. Have any of you rod builders used a video or some other tutelage when you started to build a rod? If so what did you use? I have read good reviews of Steve Petri rod building DVD. Any one with experience with his media?
[signature]

try looking around at mudhole.com they have everything you will need.
later chuck
[signature]
Hookhack.com has a lot of good stuff and information too.
[signature]
Lots of good stuff on line, I would however, check with the boys at Fish Tech on Highland drive. There is nothing like having a live person to talk to, especially if you are doing it for the first time and need lots of help. They also have a pretty good selection of materials at a decent price.
[signature]
I second Mudhole.com. Videos and supplies.
[signature]
[quote Therapist]Lots of good stuff on line, I would however, check with the boys at Fish Tech on Highland drive. There is nothing like having a live person to talk to, especially if you are doing it for the first time and need lots of help. They also have a pretty good selection of materials at a decent price.[/quote]

I agree with great supply of material, but I have never heard any of them mention if they have built a rod.[cool]
[signature]
[#500000]I made my own rod turner this past winter and used it to make several rods. Videos/DVDs are ok I guess, but you can get fly rod building 101 lessons from [/#500000][#500000]flyrodcrafters.com.[/#500000]
[#500000]They have spacing charts and complete rod building instructions that you can print and check off as you go, and you don't have to replay a video a hu[/#500000][#500000]ndred times.[/#500000]
[#500000][/#500000]
[#500000]The only problem I had was making sure that I didn't get anything on the final coats. I did it on my patio table after I sprayed it with water. Then I designed a clear plastic sheet tent to go over the turner to keep the dust away. [/#500000]
[signature]
call me and i can show you what to do and what you will need to buy
and you can see some of the rods i have made and what the scouts that we have tought have done

i have made a few rods and have been through bolth of the mud hole rod building classes and i can help you make a rod wrapper too.

801-955-5855
[signature]
right on....tlarson is good, I would jump on the offer.
[signature]
[#500000]I second that![/#500000]
[signature]
I would love to see some of your work Wave Wolf. I have built two and working on #3.
[signature]
[#500000]I'm an amatuer, but if you really want to see some good, (I mean good work), you should see some of the stuff that utwalleye, (Chuck) does.[/#500000]

[#500000]I went to a session at Tube Dudes once and he got me interested in wrapping some blanks I had around the house.[/#500000]
[signature]
i also have some cork that is unshaped about 12 inches long and 1.25 dia, lamiglass blanks asst lengths and several seats and fly seats also
also i am doing an order this weekend if you need anything shipped in
[signature]
I believe that Micky did some rod building in his Angler's Inn days, as did Byron !! They at least know the basics to get someone started.
Oh I agree. Micky has helped me pick just the right color thread on numerous occasions.
Just, hubby bought a blank and built a rod many years ago from them, I I don't recall them building them, that is all.
[signature]
Without revealing any secrets, how far back do you go with the Angler's Inn/Fish Tech crowd ?? Second Sugar House location or original hole in the wall ??
The Sugar House with Snow, for Anglers, and about 12 years ago Fish Tech.
Why is that?
[signature]
here's a link to the rod building board, you can look at some of the rods I built.
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=7"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=7[/url]
[signature]
Just curious, your one of the moldy oldies too !! Enjoy your posts !! Keep up the good work !!
[quote Therapist]Just curious, your one of the moldy oldies too !! Enjoy your posts !! Keep up the good work !![/quote]

I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK!!!!![cool]

I am sure they have built and even maybe had classes, but with the price they can buy a brand new rod, not to mention demo's, I can't really see the need to build a rod, if you know what I mean.
Being a guide, I have had some killer deals, that is why I have only built a couple.
[signature]