Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florida Keys Flats and Backcountry Report
Capt. Barry Hoffman's fishing report <br>for the Upper Keys and Florida Bay flats and backcountry. <br>December 20th, 2001<br> The warm Winter continues. Each day we can expect the temperature to reach the low eighties, keeping the water warm and the fish happy. On the new moon, bonefishing has improved dramatically. The stronger tides enticing more fish and larger specimens up on the flats. Redfishing is still a bit tough. High water conditions remain over most of the backcountry flats. Focusing on the shallowest water possible will tremendously help the cause. Permit have been a bit hard to come by. We've had a lot of wind over the past week or so. They tend to like it a bit calmer. Seatrout can still be found in the deeper basins of Florida Bay. Although a bit smaller than usual, one can find plenty of them along with an occasional ladyfish and pompano. This week in fishing I was able to fish the Boy Scout Backbone tournament again. Fishing with David Hocher and friend Sean, we took third place Team Champion. In very tough conditions, Dave caught two bonefish on Friday and on Saturday we ran into the park to raise our point total a bit. Dave's family owns Staniel Cay Yacht Club in the Bahamas, I Hope to see him and Sean again next year. On Tuesday I fished with Mike Borrid. We found a fair amount of bonefish for Mike to throw at. Guessing, I believe we had 20 shots throughout the day. Unfortunately the wind matched the number of shots and Mike was unable to hookup on fly. Friday Jim Jarvis and friend Steve drove down from Miami for a wedding, but wanted to get in a day of bonefishing before. Needless to say, neither was a groom. Finally bonefishing seemed like the old days. The wind dropped to 10 to 15 out of the East, the sun was full and bright, and the fish responded accordingly. With the exception of one permit flat I poled, we were in fish all day. The guys each caught two on spin. That's it! Good Luck to you. Practice your casting at every opportunity, and you'll be a much luckier fisherman. <br><br>For more information please contact Capt. Barry Hoffman at: <br>www.flatsguide.com / guide@flatsguide.com <br>home 305-852-6918 cell 305-664-6460 <br><br><br>