Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Montpelier reservoir report
Montpelier reservoir is froze up with a good 4 to 6 inches. Went up yesterday and slayed the perch, also got a kokanee and a few small bows.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Dang I am too busy for another two weeks.

Windriver
[signature]
Thank You! I will be down to visit my parents in a week or so, I plan on hitting Chesterfield and Montpelier on the same trip. Many good memories ice fishing Montpelier!

OvidCreek
[signature]
Is there any size to the perch? I have meant to fish it for the last two winters, just haven't been able to get it done.
[signature]
Thanks. That makes me almost want to go out on the ice.
[signature]
Most of them are on the small side but we did manage to get a few good ones. A couple were in the 10 to 12 inch range. I will try to post some pics tomorrow.
[signature]
[quote dimtrap]Most of them are on the small side but we did manage to get a few good ones. A couple were in the 10 to 12 inch range. I will try to post some pics tomorrow.[/quote]

Were the 10-12's the "small side" or are those the big ones?
[signature]
I wish those were the small ones! Most of the small ones were 6 to 8 inches
[signature]
[quote dimtrap]I wish those were the small ones! Most of the small ones were 6 to 8 inches[/quote]

Bummer. Is there hope of getting bigger ones?
[signature]
I'm just guessing here, but I would say that 12 to 13 inches is going to about the biggest you will see from there. Very high numbers of smaller ones though.
[signature]
12-14 inches is about as big as they get in idaho.. some bigger here and there but not very often so.
[signature]
The biggest perch in Idaho come out of Cascade . I wish we had some of those hogs closer . Curt G.
[signature]
Im gonna be up there for Christmas and plan on hittin up Montpelier. Im not familiar with the reservoir so i'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction on some areas of the reservoir to fish. Not lookin for your secret spot just want to better my odds of gettin into the fish. Thanks
[signature]
Almost anywhere on the reservoir is good for perch. they are widespread and easy to catch on montpelier reservoir. small green or bright yellow jigs have seemed to work best for me so far this year. We catch the highest numbers on the far side by the island. For the rainbows we have done best in about 36 feet of water and only fish about 6 to 15 feet below the ice. i dont really have any secret spots on the reservoir, there are plenty of perch and rainbows to go around [Smile]. Good luck to you and hopefully we will see you out there. I will be in a red icehouse somewere around the island.
[signature]