Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float Tubes
Is There a specific reason that the area behind the seat in front of the tube has a hole that allows water in? Would it be ok to seal the hole for a dry area ? And what would be the best tube for a fat guy ?
[signature]
The holes are more to let the water out. There are also small ones under the seat. Waves will frequently pop over the point of the tube when the wind kicks up.

There are a number of good tubes with weight limits in the 300 lb range.

The Super Fat Cat seems to be a highly rated tube for big and tall guys.
[signature]
I agree with cpierce, they are there for a reason. You don't really sit completely out of the water with a V tube, you just sit ON the water. You have to wear at least waist high waders in a V tube. You seal those holes, you will take on water...going to get a little heavy and more drag I would think.

The only V tube I know that you are completely out of the water are the NFO's
[signature]
The holes are there to let water in and out as conditions change. This stabilizes the tube with the outside water level. For example, if it were sealed and too much water splashed in compared to the outside level, the pointed end would be too heavy and cause stability problems and the opposite for not having any water behind the seat.

At 180# plus 25# cargo, I sit 3" above the water in my ODC light, which has extra buoyancy due to the inflatable seat. But the NFO's would be better for someone over 220#, but be prepared for sticker shock.

Pon
[signature]
I would love to see your seat Pontoon. I just can't visualize someone being able to sit that high on a V.
Trust me when I say I weigh considerably less, but I got wet rear on a SFC and the Freestyle H3 and the NFO Navigator II.
[signature]
FG:

Despite the height above water at rest, I get a wet rear also, due to wicking, splashing, and because the seat tilts when i am mounting, dismounting or pushing off bottom. To solve this and keep the hind quarters completely dry, I use a second 1.5" closed cell cushion on top of the inflatable seat. I don't use fins or wear waders, even in Winter.

This measurement is at maximum inflation on all 4 chambers (no foam) for the LIGHT version of the ODC with a 36" foot bar?spreader. The ODC L is at least 9# lighter than the tough bottom ODC regular version. This is perhaps 12# lighter than the largest SFC, and even more of a difference compared to the lightest NFOs (25#?).

Pon
[signature]
Well, 20lbs on the new Escape, but you are right, it is light.

Foot bar??????? No fins?????? Are you talking about a V tube still? I have got to see this.

I just want to caution others that may try to pad their seats so they too are out of water. By doing this you are throwing of the balance of the tube making tipping over more a factor.

At any rate, the way the seats are connected to the V is also where water is going to come in.
[signature]
I agree on the caution regarding padding your seat or even ordinary inflation procedures etc., for those not having much experience with "v" tubes. But if you know your way around float tubes, a seat cushion & footbar is the coolest way ever to keep your backside dry and feet warm. One can always lower the inflation pressure on the seat bottom to drop lower, should they feel like there is a tipping issue, but that isn't my situation....

The Escape is listed at 24# on the Cabellas website and SFC at 14# vs. 7# for the ODC L.

Pon
[signature]
New Escape is less I am told, but still considerably more weight than the 7 lb. Personally I would tuff up that 13 more pounds for the flat out comfort though.

I am still in a fog, foot bar on an ODC?????? The H3 wasn't even long enough for a foot bar and it was 6' long. Either, you have very short legs or you are you bending your legs big time. A fabrication of yours?

Man pictures would sure help your explanations, just sayin'
[signature]
Yes, I did fabricate my own footbar, made of 7/8" oak dowel. Feet can be set OVER the bar so legs are straight and comfortable by sticking out beyond the pointed ends of the tube. Also legs are comfortable in the bent position for at least an hour. Alternating between positions lets one stay out all day. My comfort is excellent all day, even with a bad back, due to the upright back cushion having a lumbar bulge when inflated.

Pon
[signature]
Good to know. I have a friend that has a Super Cat and says the front drops down with feet out past the tube ends, I would think more so with the rockers of a ODC.
Plus, that wood has got to up the weight and the packability doesn't it?

Again, picture worth 1,000 questions[Wink]

Oh and there is always these tubes...just don't know anyone that has one personally

http://www.zephyrboat.jp/boat/index.html

[cool]
[signature]
The main tube sections carrying the weight on the ODC are straight, so the points remain level and slightly above water with one or both legs straight-bent. Swinging the main body trunk can shift the points slightly and comes in handy when needing to clear ledges-obstacles. There are only 2 pieces of wood to be packed, 2- 24" side struts with attached clamping hardware at 2# total, fits almost all small suitcases or packs. The 1#, 36" footbar can be scrounged on location from downed branches or bought for $2 at the closest Walmart.

Pictures also take time and generate questions.

Thanks for the link, but Zephyrboat design represents a step backwards in terms of design compared to a "V" or pontoon, IMHO. Poor comfort, no adjustable seat back position, no easy step in-out or on off, non bailing muddy floors and cleanup, no built in tackle bags, etc... Still, some people like them, and to each his own.

Pon
[signature]
You didn't look at the floaters did you. The last column of boats on that site. There are V tubes and small pontoon shapes. No step back in my eyes at all. They are pretty state of the art..but that is just my take.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]You didn't look at the floaters did you. The last column of boats on that site. There are V tubes and small pontoon shapes. No step back in my eyes at all. They are pretty state of the art..but that is just my take.[/quote]

Sorry, I don't surf or browse websites with Asian labeling, even when converted to English.

P.
[signature]
[quote pontoonman][quote flygoddess]You didn't look at the floaters did you. The last column of boats on that site. There are V tubes and small pontoon shapes. No step back in my eyes at all. They are pretty state of the art..but that is just my take.[/quote]

Sorry, I don't surf or browse websites with Asian labeling, even when converted to English.

P.[/quote]

HUH? I took it you looked at the site because you described the Zodiac style boats. right under the three pictures is POWER BOAT, ELECTRIC BOAT, & FLOATER with a list of boats under them, but your prerogative to not look for sure.
But, your analyses of the intended float tube boat was in correct.
"Thanks for the link, but Zephyrboat design represents a step backwards in terms of design compared to a "V" or pontoon, IMHO. Poor comfort, no adjustable seat back position, no easy step in-out or on off, non bailing muddy floors and cleanup, no built in tackle bags, etc.."
They are pretty cool and a lot of features. Just too bad they are not marketed here in the US. I think they could be a hit.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. You have already had some good input on tube sizes. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, if you want dry storage behind the seat you will need to get a "dry bag" such as those used by kayakers and river runners. Or, you can insert a small rubbermaid container or even a cooler. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Pon, If you aren't wearing fins what do you use to propel your float tube?? Have you got oars mounted or a paddle? Motor?
Thanks
[signature]
when I first looked at those "Z" tubes I was put off a bit by the rounded front ends of the tube.. but looking again I see that the pointed end is behind the tuber.. that makes sense since you travel in that direction... also.. most of the modesl (if not all) have bags attached.. some look to be good sized ones..

some of the foot rests (on the ones with oars) are straps and not sure how good those would be.. but then again should be easy and cheap to replace if needed.. plus no added weight..

lastly .. and what I liked the most .. was the seating.. looks to be very adjustable and very supportive...

other drawbacks are the colors.. most are camo or wine red... kind of a purple.. not sure how those would be on stateside waters especially with the regs on safety orange needed for visibility...

course this only my two cents...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[quote cpierce]Pon, If you aren't wearing fins what do you use to propel your float tube?? Have you got oars mounted or a paddle? Motor?
Thanks[/quote]

cpierce:

Paddle and kicking off bottom, with sandals for light finning on remote river drifting trips to keep away from banks, parking and positioning- let the current do the work. Lightweight motor/battery combo for closer river trips and lakes.

Pon
[signature]
[quote flygoddess][quote pontoonman][quote flygoddess]You didn't look at the floaters did you. The last column of boats on that site. There are V tubes and small pontoon shapes. No step back in my eyes at all. They are pretty state of the art..but that is just my take.[/quote]

P.[/quote]

HUH? I took it you looked at the site because you described the Zodiac style boats. right under the three pictures is POWER BOAT, ELECTRIC BOAT, & FLOATER with a list of boats under them, but your prerogative to not look for sure.
But, your analyses of the intended float tube boat was in correct.
"Thanks for the link, but Zephyrboat design represents a step backwards in terms of design compared to a "V" or pontoon, IMHO. Poor comfort, no adjustable seat back position, no easy step in-out or on off, non bailing muddy floors and cleanup, no built in tackle bags, etc.."
They are pretty cool and a lot of features. Just too bad they are not marketed here in the US. I think they could be a hit.[/quote]

I opened the link and immediately saw it was further linked to an Asian site of the type that had caused credit card issues for me. I saw the Zephyr raft pictures and based my evaluation on that, before exiting immediately. I know you to be helpful and wondered why you were recommending rafts (which you weren't), but didn't want to be ungrateful of your efforts. Thought that would avoid me getting berated for once, Oh well....

Anyone has the capability to just avoid my messages by skipping over if they are not helpful to their satisfaction.

Pon
[signature]