Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
do catfish and carp eat freshwater clams?
do catfish and carp eat freshwater clams?
[signature]
Don't know about carp, but I used to catch catfish all the time with freshwater clams in the rivers of California. Give em a shot if you have access to them. They stink really bad, so I don't see why a self respecting catfish or carp wouldn't eat em.
[signature]
Not sure about carp, but catfish are pretty opportunistic, and eat all variety of "meats".
Feller posted that he got a bunch of big fat garden snails and did real well with channel cats.

Cats have a better mouth to be able to crunch through things, whereas a carp's mouth is pretty soft and slurpy.
Hmm,I do notice empty clam shells aroud the shoar of the lake,but it could be the birds..carp around here love it after a good rain so they could feed on the fresh grass,also love berries such as from the Ficus trees and Mullbery trees.I never thought they would suck down a baby duck,what do you think please check both vids,carp are in a frenzy and suck down baby duck"viewer discretion advised",don't look if you don't like this kind of stuff,this is raw nature at its best.fish food is a random vid I found, I forgot the name of these fish,also a duck gets eaten. "discretion is adviced".
[signature]
It doesn't matter. The best catfish bait is live or fresh cut bream, crappie, etc... They are easy to come by, and you don't have to dig through a shell to use them for bait. [cool]
[signature]
yes they do but you need to check your state .. many fresh water clams are endangered species now.

Here in Arkansas we can only use a certain few and we do catch huge flathead and blue cats on the ones we can use.

and yes you will catch huge carp on them.

just make sure you aren't breaking any game and fish laws in your state. My biggest carp I ever caught was using them.

[inline Photo-0058.jpg]
[signature]
i dont think so
[signature]
Catfish most definitely eat mussels and clams ...... when fishing, look for shells and you will catch more fish.
[signature]