Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing at the Pig
Dubob and I hit the Pig today for a little, and I mean little, koke action. We arrived around 7:30am and were soon on the water. We headed to the dam and started circling the lake, we got our first hit near the spillway but lost it. We continued our circle and started getting fish in the boat, near the spring and for the next hour or more we stayed on the fish catching one after another. We caught a few on squid lures but the majority of the fish came on the kokanee Creek spinners fished at 30 to 40 ft with riggers and lead core line. As we were heading in around 1:30pm, I caught the last one of the day for a total of 18. With only 6 more needed for our second limit, it was doable but we did not want to say any longer to finish out our limit. We were the only boat on the water for most of the day until A guy showed up with his kids pulling them on a tube[:|]. There were also 4 or 5 folks fishing from float tubes. Lake looks to be 3 to 3.5 ft lower than my last trip up there when the water was going over the spillway. It was a great day on the pond, I'm glad I could get up there one more time before the spawn more or less closes the lake. on Aug 15, thanks for the trip Bob.
WH2
[signature]
Wow those are some bright red meat in those fish, I'll bet they are pretty tasty?
[signature]
We are going to eat some of them tomorrow but yes they have nice dark pink color, should be good.
WH2
[signature]
Very nice man! Thanks for the detailed report. I don't troll, nor have a downrigger and fish finder on my toon so maybe it isn't for me. Still I get all gitty and excited when I see others catching the tasty salmon.

I only went all that way (from slc) once to ice fish it this year (April) and it was already ice out. No we didn't fish the ice out because I was still using crutches to get on the ice decks. Maybe next year my twin and I will hit it on the ice deck! Way to score some yummy utah salmon!
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]It was a great day on the pond, I'm glad I could get up there one more time before the spawn more or less closes the lake. on Aug 15, thanks for the trip Bob.
WH2[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]It was a great trip. I'm glad you could make it.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I'm making a fresh batch of brine this morning and the fish will go in later this afternoon or tomorrow and then into the smoker. I'll let you know when I get them done.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Sounds like you guys did well. I have yet to fish that water, but the season isn't over yet. Way to go.
[signature]
Hey Gary, if I had to choose between driving to the Gorge or Porcupine from Evanston, I think I would go to the bigger lake[Wink] but if you want to target some big browns then the Pig is the place to go[Smile]. I really need to take a pic of the Fish Finder when we go threw some of those big fish marks. Let me know if you want to get up there some time to give it a try.
[signature]
Just reread the proclm - guess I didn't realize the limit was a full 12 Kokes. Nice going - you didn't sound too excited about the catching, but that looks like a nice bag!

So how big were your biggest? I know earlier you complained of finding sardines up there.
I take it you stopped by a cleaning station somewhere else, eh? They haven't put on in there have they?

So - you gonna smoke 'em?

I picked up a collection of Kokanee lures/squids/dodgers from a fellow off the board - and besides pitching bunches of spoons - they still need some exercise.
Dang - maybe THAT's where I should go this weekend before the lockdown hits.
Is the launch area in pretty good shape?
Were the tubers staying wakeless? (doubtful! Heard there were skiers out there this year too. Guess they can't read the signs?!?!? [mad])

Thanks for a great report.
I want to go back so bad. Last time we took the coach and left the boat behind. My coach sprang a coolant leak so it's down till I figure it out.
If someone would be willing to pull my boat up from Brigham I would love to share my boat with you, I have 2 electric downriggers to target them tasty lil critters. This year is our 1st putting Kokes in the boat. I'm pretty new to the whole thing. We did well for kokes at the gorge and landed one during the DAV event but I want to learn more, so if someone wants to go hit me a PM.
[signature]
[quote CoyoteSpinner]Just reread the proclm - guess I didn't realize the limit was a full 12 Kokes. Nice going - you didn't sound too excited about the catching, but that looks like a nice bag! [#0000ff]The catching was good but the size wasn't the best, fun, none the less[/#0000ff][Wink].

So how big were your biggest? [#0000ff]The fish were 7 to 9". I'll attach a second pic with a filet knife to show perspective.[/#0000ff]
I know earlier you complained of finding sardines up there.
I take it you stopped by a cleaning station somewhere else, eh? [#0000ff]LOL, I was wondering if someone would catch that[cool], we went down to Hyrum and cleaned the fish.[/#0000ff]
They haven't put on in there have they?

So - you gonna smoke 'em?
[#0000ff]Bob is planning on smoking his 12 but I did not think it was worth it to smoke 6 because they are so small. I think one person could eat 2 or 3 easy.
[/#0000ff]
I picked up a collection of Kokanee lures/squids/dodgers from a fellow off the board - and besides pitching bunches of spoons - they still need some exercise.
Dang - maybe THAT's where I should go this weekend before the lockdown hits.
Is the launch area in pretty good shape?
[#0000ff]The back launch looks good but we launched at the first launch and it is very rutted and washed out but we made it down and back out ok.[/#0000ff]
Were the tubers staying wakeless? [#0000ff]The guys in the float tube were fine[Wink] but the guy pulling his kids were going a little faster than wakeless, lucky we were the only boat on the lake so he was nice enough to stay away from us.[/#0000ff] (doubtful! Heard there were skiers out there this year too. Guess they can't read the signs?!?!? [mad])

Thanks for a great report.[/quote]
On another note those small kokes appear to be the spawners this year, they all had eggs or spawn in them and some had a light red color. After Monday the 15th all those fish will have to be released I would imagine all those 7 to 9 in kokes will all start changing color soon. Good luck if you make it up there.
[signature]
I was wondering when they put the fish cleaning station in at Porcupine, that's cool.[Wink]
[signature]
[font "Verdana"][#ff0000]OK, it's your fault. [Wink] I have to ditch yardwork and go chase some Kokanee this Saturday! I got a new Brinkmann smoker this spring and figured out how to do a mean brisket but salmon are still on my hit list! Thanks for the post.[/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
So is there a regulation that states that the Pig is wakeless? I can't find it in the proclomation.
[signature]
I think it's just a local policy thing that the water users try to impose. In talking to the local Game Warden a few years back he told me that they couldn't enforce the rule so he would just recommend to people that they keep it wakeless. I think it should be wakeless only.
[signature]
there are signs on the way up it is a private irragation pond.
[signature]
I plan on going up Sunday and guess the trolla will be the main motor for the day.
[signature]
[quote PACKFAN]I think it's just a local policy thing that the water users try to impose. In talking to the local Game Warden a few years back he told me that they couldn't enforce the rule so he would just recommend to people that they keep it wakeless. I think it should be wakeless only.[/quote]

[center][mad][mad]"Couldn't" or "don't bother to try"[mad][mad]

[center][crazy][crazy]Guess some folks just can't be bothered to read a sign. Probably the same folks that eat lots and lots of big brown trout out of those same water.[crazy][crazy]
[/center][/center]
I'll think they just need to park Barney and his dog next to the launch, and he can have civi's chase after the speeders and just start citing everyone who comes to Porcupine from outside Avon.
There's enough places that folks can take their big boats and speed to their hearts content, and considering there's no real boat launch (or cleaning station [Wink]) there NO reason they should have to or need to or be allowed to exceed wakeless speed on THAT little lake!

(plus they might interrupt the Kokes doing their little lambada dances! Kokus-Interruptus!)
That lake is private and the ground around as well were lucky we get to use it at all. The people who own it could lock everybody out if they felt like it. I think what attracts these idiot's is it's free to use. If there not carfull and treat the place with no reguard they could lock the gates for good.
[signature]
According to him there was nothing on the books that made it illegal to run a boat wide open up there, like I said I still believe it is a local policy by the water users, but not a law. I would like to see it made a law and enforced but that will probably never happen. I was wondering now that they have a fish cleaning station there how long will it be before we have a paved road around the lake with a nice boat ramp?[shocked]
[signature]
We are headed that way right niow.... report this afternoon
[signature]