Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alaska Halibut....!!!!
[quote TubeDude]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]...and that frozen fish were often considered in that limit. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]... they take a very broad approach to the frozen fish issue. Surprisingly, it is possible to just keep adding the daily limit to whatever you have in the freezer until you have all the fish you want. Doesn't matter. [/#0000ff][#0000ff][/#0000ff][/quote]

dude. You still don't get it. Merely freezing a fish doesn't remove it from your possession limit. You MUST prepare it in a way that it will keep for longer than 15 days. Freezing doesn't do that. Freezing in combination with vacuum packing DOES. So, to merely freeze your fish, just like in Utah, it is still in your possession. As soon as you fillet it, skin it, and vacuum pack it for long-term keeping, it is no longer counted in your possession. Fish camps don't just take your fish and throw it in the freezer. They fillet it, and vacuum pack it -- PRESTO! -- no more possession limit to deal with.

What's up with all your edited comments? You embarrassed about your misinformed comments? Let that be a lesson to you. If you're going to make comments, learn to live with them. Don't go back and erase them once you've learned differently. Be a man.

With the commericial vs. sport issue, it's tough. On one hand, the commercial guys certainly affect fish populations more than the sport guys. On the other hand, sport anglers need to accept that they also play a hand in these issues. But some common sense needs to be applied -- this is about money. Nothing else. Come up with a solution that benefits the FISH!
[signature]
PHB Have you ever been to Alaska? I just got back from there and let me tell you all the fish caught are checked every day. You haft to hand wright down and keep records of every fish every day, Unguided Daily limit 2 Halibut any size, guided 1 Halibut over 26" per day you can bring back a 5 day limit of Halibut 10 fish per angler no mater what size they are unguided 10- 60 lbs can be a total of 300 lbs of frozen fish sent home, On the average 95% of the anglers brought home 100 lbs of fish this also included Salmon in this total. And by the way the Alaska game and fish came to the lodge 2 to 3 times a week and checked that all recorders are kept
[signature]
Hydro -- I lived in Alaska.

Regarding your post -- what point are you making?

in all my previous posts, I have complained about what lodges, camps, anglers, etc. are doing LEGALLY. I don't agree with it MORALLY.

I'm not following your post. I'd like to discuss further. Are you saying that anglers are allowed 10 halibut in their possession?

Further -- if anglers are coming home with 300lbs of halibut, I would argue that is excessive, and counter to maintaining a healthy halibut population. Again, I'd ask the question "what is the purpose of a possession limit?".
[signature]
PHB PM sent
[signature]
Well I am one of those "horrible" people who brings home 300 lbs of fish from AK. And we eat it, every last delicious piece of it gets eaten. We give some to friends, the ones who I know will eat it.

When fish is properly handled, and vacuum sealed it will keep for 2 years in a deep freeze. You will not be able to tell the difference, I have done the taste test.

So we go up, about every 3 years.
[signature]
[quote pookiebar]Well I am one of those "horrible" people who brings home 300 lbs of fish from AK.[/quote]

Not a problem to me, unless you bring more than a possession limit allows.

Once again, I'll ask: What is the reason for a possession limit?

Alaska DoFG must have a pretty good reason for possession limits, otherwise they'd increase or remove them.
[signature]
Even though this has very little to do with the matter at hand, i'll see if I can clear a bit up for your PBH.
Possession limits have several reasons in Alaska
I used to wonder the same thing, why have possession limit if you can just fill your freezer with vacpacked fish. A good friend I fish wish several times a year is a officer of ADFG. When I asked him why possession limits are in place this is a couple of the main reasons he explained to me.
Alaska is a boom and bust, harvest it while its here, type mentality. If you lived in Alaska, you understand that if you like eating salmon, you can't just go catch how much you'll eat this month and hope to be able to catch them again next month when you're out of fish. Alaska ADFG wants people to be able to harvest a lot of certain types of fish. Especially if they are putting money into the economy by spending in on fuel, lodging, groceries, tackle, charters, restaurants...but...
Having the possession limit in place helps to make sure people are having something done to preserve their fish in a timely manner, otherwise they can't keep fishing. ADFG supports harvest of fish, but want to make sure that fish taken is vacpacked, smoked, canned....before it spoils. If someone is on a weeklong fishing trip, and they keep limits the first 2 days, they have reached possession for most species, and must do something with that fish before it spoils. I've heard officers tell of guys who go on a 10 day fishing trip and expect that those fish they caught on day 1 will keep on ice until they get home.
Another reason is to help make sure people are following daily bag limts. Say you are checked at camp one evening and you have 15 sockeye salmon in your cooler and the daily limit is 3, possession 6. Well either you've kept over your daily limit, or you now have fish that is 5 days old and is starting to spoil.
There were several other reasons explained to me but i don't remember them well enough to explain clearly, and honestly a few of them i didn't quite understand. One of his main points had something to do with mixing sport caught and personal use harvests before being processed.
[signature]
tmas -- thank you.

The reasoning is sound. The allowance is legal. The abuse (specifically with Pacific halibut) is morally wrong.

FWIW -- I feel that Alasaka residents should have more privileges to "store for the winter" than should tourists. I understand the desire of bringing home boxes of fresh salmon and halibut -- the stuff is like gold! But from a perspective of sustaining our populations of wild fish, I wish more anglers would only take what they need -- not what they can.
[signature]
Good for you, the price a person has to pay to go on a trip to Alaska to enjoy themselves for a few days should allow you to bring home some fish as long as it is within the legal limit and it all gets consumed. The wife and I went several years ago (2008) and brought home 150 lbs. of halibut and salmon fillets. One 50 lb. box went to a daughter and son to split and we consumed the rest over the next year. I hated to see the last package of halibut fillets disappear. We would like to make at least one more trip up to catch some sockeye, silvers and halibut.
[signature]
Is this one of those "in before the lock" moments? Where's Kochanut?

PBH - you're kinda harsh. Not sure why.

[quote pookiebar]Well I am one of those "horrible" people who brings home 300 lbs of fish from AK. And we eat it, every last delicious piece of it gets eaten. We give some to friends, the ones who I know will eat it. [/quote]

[center]Hope you get a proper "donation" note written up for that! [shocked]

[center][laugh][laugh]Sometimes stocking up can be beneficial! [laugh][laugh]
[/center][/center]
Alaska residents do have more priveledges than do the tourists....for the right fish too. Alaska residents can travel around the state to several different personal use fisheries and use dipnets to harvest large amounts of sockeye salmon, like 25 for head of household, and 10 for each additional member of the family...some areas even higher. Others that qualify for subsistence fishing can use dip and set nets to harvest even more.
[signature]
PBH I have to disagree with what you are implying is morally wrong. With the price of shipping these days I don't know many people that would take home more fish than they will use and as mentioned the vac PAC frozen fish is great two years later. Most of us only make it to AK every few years and being able to have a taste of there the next year is always a treat. I see no moral dilemma for catching a few halibut in two years it's not like we do it weekly. Just my perspective. J
[signature]
Oh one other thing the whole issue here was who gets to catch the fish, commercial or sport fishermen not should we allow them to be caught so this whole argument is a red herring leading us away from the issue at hand. So for me I'm going to tell them to let the sportsmen continue to have 2 per day and I hope others will take time to let their thoughts be known. Later J
[signature]
Don't need a "donation" note when you are no longer in the state. What cop from AK is going to check once you're in Utah? [Wink]
[signature]
As I mentioned earlier the commercial quotas have been cut nearly 40% for the past two years.

Since the sports caught fish accounts for roughly 20% of the annual catch of halibut, I think asking sportsmen to participate in the "cut back" for one year is OK. [cool]

I am still waiting for someone to bet me $20 that next year the spotsmen will be allowed to keep 2 a day again. No takers?
[signature]
I think a lot of us will for go a trip if you only get to keep one fish. That's a lot of money for a chicken. I think the wiser way to do this would be a quota on fish taken numbers but if you get to go you get two fish a day sort of like Oregon or only allow so many days that are open to fish halibut because if your spending the kind of money it takes to get to Alaska and then a charter boat fee one fish isn't going to cut it unless your the lucky one that ties into a barn door. And never trust a one year thing, I'm not sure I've ever seen one of those that ever ended up being one year and back to normal. Just saying this is a nightmare for the commercial boat skippers and crew not to mention those that rely on tourist dollars.
[signature]
[quote tmas]Even though this has very little to do with the matter at hand, i'll see if I can clear a bit up for your PBH.
Possession limits have several reasons in Alaska
I used to wonder the same thing, why have possession limit if you can just fill your freezer with vacpacked fish. A good friend I fish wish several times a year is a officer of ADFG. When I asked him why possession limits are in place this is a couple of the main reasons he explained to me.
Alaska is a boom and bust, harvest it while its here, type mentality. If you lived in Alaska, you understand that if you like eating salmon, you can't just go catch how much you'll eat this month and hope to be able to catch them again next month when you're out of fish. Alaska ADFG wants people to be able to harvest a lot of certain types of fish. Especially if they are putting money into the economy by spending in on fuel, lodging, groceries, tackle, charters, restaurants...but...
Having the possession limit in place helps to make sure people are having something done to preserve their fish in a timely manner, otherwise they can't keep fishing. ADFG supports harvest of fish, but want to make sure that fish taken is vacpacked, smoked, canned....before it spoils. If someone is on a weeklong fishing trip, and they keep limits the first 2 days, they have reached possession for most species, and must do something with that fish before it spoils. I've heard officers tell of guys who go on a 10 day fishing trip and expect that those fish they caught on day 1 will keep on ice until they get home.
Another reason is to help make sure people are following daily bag limts. Say you are checked at camp one evening and you have 15 sockeye salmon in your cooler and the daily limit is 3, possession 6. Well either you've kept over your daily limit, or you now have fish that is 5 days old and is starting to spoil.
There were several other reasons explained to me but i don't remember them well enough to explain clearly, and honestly a few of them i didn't quite understand. One of his main points had something to do with mixing sport caught and personal use harvests before being processed.[/quote]

This is some pretty sound reasoning as to why they have the verbage they do in their rules.
[signature]
The sport guys haven't taken the hit too? What about the 33% of Halibut charter permits that were cut this year? That was a lot of families that lost there main source of income...and a lot of guys with a million in overhead that isn't selling because nobody can get a new charter permit. Not to mention that sport fishermen lost almost 50% of their catch as well, and now they are trying to make the rest of the state lose nearly half of their catch and reassign it to the commercial guys. I agree that sport fishermen should take a hit too, but I think PBH has a much better idea of reducing possession or annual limit than cutting the daily bag in half.
What makes you think it will be for one year? Has it been for one year in the southeast? NO! Why would you believe that they are going to raise it to 2...when right now they are trying to drop it from 2 to 1 everywhere else?
[signature]
Not sure how they do it in Alaska but I can guarntee you that is not legal in Canada. My family has spent the last 10 summers on the northern end of Vancouver Island and I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that the possession limit not only applies, but is strictly enforced, even at the border. Now if you are a Canadian citizen once you take your fish to your permanent residence it no longer counts against your possession limit. So as far as going to a Canadian lodge and ship[ping home in excess of your possession limit, if they have done it, they did it illegally!
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Good luck tmas. I don't believe that the majority of these guys understand what is happening.
[signature]