Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bad knot?
Whenever I use a stretch proof like spider line or fire line, I must tie several knots until the line doesn't take any damage. Are there knots that work best for those types of line? Or does everyone have the trouble I do?
[cool]i use the triline knot with spider and fire line with no trouble
[signature]
[Smile]Hey thanks. I just learnd that knot two days ago. I'll give it a try.

Sidenote, ever compair it to the double clinch. It's the same but the copy writted pitcures are fliped around and has differant shaped loops, if I remember right.

I'll try it now, thanks again!
[signature]
5 for 5 knots tied with no line damage, thanks![Smile]!
[signature]
I'm actually testing the Double Clinch knot on my no-stretch line. Haven't hooked into anything big enough to really give it a test.

I went to the library a few months ago (great place for resources) and checked out a book written specifically for fishing knot applications. It covered everything from how to tie it, what uses for it, what types of line to use it for, etc. Great book! But it's a lot of information to absorb.
[signature]
A li...bra...ry? Oh...you mean that big building with all the toilet pap...I mean books. Just kidding. I haven't had a card in 15 years, maybe it's about time. Thanks, I wasn't thinking of that option.
[signature]
LOL. Yeah, a L-L-L-Library! I go there and check out fishing video's once in a while. I watch them over and over again until I think I've got them memorized just to find out that I've gotta go back and get them from the library again.

Definitely try to find that book that I can't remember the name of. All I know is that it's jam-packed full of fishing knot information.
[signature]
Here's a link that may come in handy as a quick reference:

http://www.baitstick.com/HOW%20TO%20TIE%20KNOTS.htm

They have on there something called a "Berkley Braided Knot" which, to me, looks very much like the double clinch knot. Things that make you go... hmmmmmmmmm.
[signature]
here is a couple cheet cards.

print them and laminate them then stick them in your box.

one is a trilene knit and the other is a polimer knot

I have yet to see eather of these knots break when tied properly.
[signature]
the trilene knot is on the back of all trilene line boxes right?[crazy]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]The Trilene Knot[/size][/font]

1. Run end of line through eye of hook or lure and double back through the eye a second time.

2. Loop around standing part of line 5 or 6 times.

3. Thread tag end back between the eye and the coils as shown.

4. Pull up tight and trim tag end.

See the attached doc for pictures and instructions.
[signature]
its not on all of the boxes but usualy there is an incert if there isnt.

if you ever get a chance to try the polimer knot you will be impressed at its strenth and ease and speed the knot provides.

all the tourny anglers use the polimer knot for that vary reason.

try this on a two pound test line tie a polimer knot and hold the hook with a pair of pliers and with a glove on the othr hand rap the line around your gloved hand leaving ahout 2-3 feet from the hook and glove. Pull the line and hook and you will be surprised that the line will break before the knot will.

I still retie my hooks after every battle stripping about a foot or two off the line or I make a new leeder. (usualy I pack extra home made leeders so all I have to do is change it at the swivle. But when I am ice fishing or fly fishing it is direct line to the hook fly or jig.

but once you start tieing the polimer knot you will vary seldom go back to the other knots. and it is the easyest to remember.

there is another knot I use it is called a snell knot (not sure if it is the proper name) you will find this knot on store bought snell leaders. I have to change the leader on those knots as well every 25 gills or so.

I have reitried hooks and jigs after catching two or three hundred fish they loose there barbs and there is not much left to resharpen.

if you send me you mailing address through a privet message I will mail you that card I scanned and loaded up here on my earler post.
[signature]
the palomar knot is my favorite knot. Its pretty much the only one I use. Ive never had a problem with, no breakages.
[signature]
i'm with BFFG use a palomar i've used it for years most recently on super braids NEVER had a knot fialiure
chris
[signature]
That Trilene knot as described by Cat Man sure sounds like a double clinch to me too!!

I normally use an improved clinch and use a double improved clinch for tough stuff like Kokanee snagging.

An entertaining and interesting knot publication are the "Quick-Reference Illustrations" sheets put out by Tightlines Publications. They're 8.5x11 sheets, printed in color on both sides and laminated. They have about ten knots on each side. I bought six of the freshwater knot sheets and enjoy going over them when the subject of knots comes up.

It's kinda interesting that I can't find the Trilene knot on the sheets. They do, however, have the double clinch! They also show the Rapala knot, so I don't think they shy away from using a brand name.
[signature]
Hey there hharada, the trilene knot is a bit different from the clinch knot in which you are familiar with. Here is a link to the Trilene knot. Notice where the knot gets terminated and the wetting instructions of the line prior to pulling tight.
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=732;]
[signature]
I missed,in Cat Mans description that you go through the eye of the hook twice to start. Sorry about that.

Thank you for the enlightenment!!
[signature]
[cool] No problem buddy. We are all here to help each other and learn from each other. If you ever need any help just holler out on the message boards. There are plenty of knowledgeable anglers that are here to help anyone whom needs it. Happy Fishing.
[signature]