Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kunjumuk Creek out of Speculator
[font "Verdana"][#191970][size 2]This is not about fishing, but about an enjoyable day in the ADK's.

My friend Kelly and I were bent on taking a kayak padle somewhere on his day off. He suggested a couple of places, but we decided on the Kunjamuk Creek out of Speculator because he had never been and it had been 30 years or more for me.
The launch spot off of RT 30 is fine, sitting next to the road and giving access at Kunjamuk bay and avoiding the 4 mile paddle from Lake Pleasent. We encountered the first beaver dam within a 1/2 mile of the enterence to the creek, but with the flows were able to paddle hard and with a few pulls on sticks get up the dam without getting out of our kayaks. Over the next 3 miles to Elm Lake we encountered 7 more beaver dams but did not have to get out for any of them.
We paddled across Elm lake and back into the river, after a couple more miles we came to a couple of trees across the river blocking our way. Being we were 4 hours in we decided to turn around and head back. The return trip was quite a bit faster going downstream and as twilight began to fall we were greeted by beaver swimming, birds flying about looking for a spot to spend the night. I was hoping to see a moose and although the place looked perfect for them, none were spotted.
If you are looking for a nice calm paddle I recommend this one. I would do it mid week as we did because I suspect it to be crowded on weekends.

As far as fish, I saw a couple of 6" perch jumping for bugs, but that is about it. I was very suprised at the depths of the river and do suspect there could be something worth while down in them.[/size][/#191970][/font]
[signature]