Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
painting bullet sinkers
I bought some Ultra Steel Bullet sinkers several years ago and still have some left over. I have noticed that you can now buy them in colors. Appears they are just painted.

I was thinking of standing them on end and just painting them with a spray can on flat black or flat dark green.

Has anyone ever tried this before and how did they come out.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I paint 'em all kinds of purty colors...with glitter too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Easiest way I have found is to get a piece of styrofoam to stand them on. Then run one end of a toothpick up inside until it wedges tight. Now you have a handle for painting and you can stick it down into the foam while it dries.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another method is to take some old Christmas tree ornament wires and straighten out one end. Run it down through the hole and bend it at the bottom. Now you can hang it on something while you paint it and let it dry.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A third alternative is to use the powder paint. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
I assume you will be using your weights with plastic baits, if so the spray paint method will work fine other than the oil in soft plastics will turn a lot of paints into a gooey sticky mess. You can eliminate this by using powder paint, like Tubedude said or using a expoxy clear coat or other clear coat made for fishing lures.
[signature]
Oh yes I have seen, used and love your pretty colors. Have had good success with them too.

So what about this would you recommend a spray with a epoxy finish or is a spray just fine?

I guess if I was to use some glitter on it I would have to mix the paint with some and brush it on.

Where would I find paint that I could mix with glitter? Do craft stores have that.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Most tackle crafters find that spray painting is wasteful and messy...for jig heads or sinkers. I hand paint mine. Not that time consuming and it allows more creative colors and designs. And sometimes a good complimentary or contrasting sinker or jighead can improve the effectiveness of the worm or trailer.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You know where I live. I would be happy to help you paint up some of your stuff to show you how it is done. The glitter is the tricky part. You mix the dry glitter into clear gloss vinyl jig paint...not the final epoxy coat. And proper thinning is important.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Attaching a page from one of my TackleCraft chapters. Shows the options and suggests ideas. I prefer the vinyl paints because they do not chip off easily...as you have found. But I always finish them with the 2 part clear epoxy. That also helps keep them from being dissolved by the plastic solvents.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sportsmans carries most of the colors, the clear and the thinner in CS Coatings vinyl jig paints. Also available from Cabelas, Janns and Barlows.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I've been using [url "http://fishingskirts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=94&zenid=e788e15fba8ab8d24be375914576ceb5"]Boss Jig Armor[/url] on my bullet weights, lead and brass. They've actually came out quite well. TD does an excellent job, he has done several colors for me that I've never seen on any shelf before and I've been to alot of fishing stores.
[signature]
Harbor Freight has powder paint in Red, Black, White, and Yellow for CHEAP. A 1lb canister will set you back about 6bucks. You will have enough to last you the rest of your life. Powder paint is easy to use and durable. I don't like it for jigs, but for sinkers, bouncers, etc, it is just fine !!!! I use a heat gun to warm up the sinker.
is this just more of a peace of mind thing? I'm sure those multi colored ones can enhance a jig. but evertime I watch "bass masters", its usually just a normal lead conehead on the eand of their soft plastics.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]True, the color of the sinker or jighead may not matter much in many situations. When the water is murky or you are fishing in weeds the fish respond as much to the vibration and motion as the color. That is common in a lot of the eastern and midwestern lakes on the pro bass circuit. However, in some of the clear western impoundments, with little or no weedy cover, there is more visibility. In those cases a good "matching" or contrasting color can add some motivation for bass to strike.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Many "experts" claim that fish are color blind and that colors do not matter. But I know just as many knowledgeable anglers who swear by certain colors for certain situations and they produce the fish to back it up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My personal opinion is that in a lot of situations the fish will strike colors that are the most visible under prevailing light and water clarity conditions. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bottom line...you don't need painted jig heads or sinkers but there are times the added foo foo will get more hits for you. And they are purtier to look at when the fish ain't bitin'.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Color may or may not matter (I'm a believer that it can and does) but flash and glitter can certainly draw more attention. Depth and clarity both impact color physics in water.

I don't have the fancy paints (pants) that some of these craftsmen deal with (yet - anyway). But my bargain bin approach has been NailPolish from the dollar store. Paints on - seems to stick pretty good, lots of colors to choose from, and many have glitter built in. I've dabbled with some holographic-prism-stickers to add to the bling factor.

Took some old rusty spoons and spinners, and glammed them up a bit. (then - MORE importantly - sharpened the hooks!)