Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help please - need advice on a reel & rod combo.......
I am looking for some advice please. Going camping soon and just want to buy a reasonable spinning rod and reel combo for some river trout fishing. Would like to get a 2 piece.

I am currently looking at the Pflueger Trion GX-7 Spinning Rod and Reel Combo at around $60 - please see link below:

http://www.basspro.com/Pflueger-Trio...rodDescription

Also looking at Shakespeare Ugly Stik Catfish Spinning Rod and Reel Combo at around $40 - please see link below:

http://www.basspro.com/Shakespeare-U...51675/-1012576

Heard great things about ugly stiks but was a bit worried that it might be to long and heavy? Perhaps not. Haven't heard much about the Pflueger.

Any advice would be truly appreciated or any other combos I should consider? Many thanks in advance.

Happy fishing.
[signature]
This might be a side point, but when I'm out fishing and using several different types of rods- especially when I'm running planers, dipseys, copper line, etc.- it becomes clear that some rods have a ton more action. Personally, I like cabella's brand rods. They are a good price and they don't give off too much movement.
[signature]
Hey MastarC-

This might be a little later than you wanted, but you definitely get what you pay for. As far as trout fishing is concerned, you want to pick the right rod, then match the reel. If you're looking for an ugly stick, they're great rods for the price, but you probably want a lighter rod with a lot of action. Trout tend to be more finicky and you want to register the bite right away. A medium-heavy rod isn't going to do it, but a light one will.

As far as the reel--I like to buy my rods and reels separately, but if you buy a combo, you'll probably be getting a low-end model of a reel, so just plan on that. I would definitely take off the existing line and put what you want to fish with on there, mainly because you have no idea what type of line comes on the combo. If you want a higher-end reel, then make sure you don't get something rated for 8-10-12 lb line with a light pole, or the other way around. Try reeling with several different reels and decide which one feels best to you, and get that.

Have a great time!
[signature]