Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monster Panfish at Cutler (8-23)
Cutler Res. - Went out with BFT member CvFisher to his secret spot at Culter. My twin and I arrived at Benson Marina at 4pm due to faulty Google Maps directions. We got in his boat and headed to his spot where he promised us some good Black Crappie action.

Boy was he right! Right off the bat CvFisher picked up 3 slabs in quick succession and a good sized bluegill. I moved around and lost 2 crappie within seconds of dropping my rig into the water. Luckily I learned to not pull so hard and landed one.

Then as I moved to another spot I picked up an MONSTER bluegill! This thing was 10 inches long and had a 10.5inch girth! Damn, it was 1 and 5/8th of an inch short of the catch and release record for utah! :evil:

My twin got into his 1st Black Crappie ever at 12 inches long in the same spot, another off his bucket list. We watched as the master (CvFisher) continued to slay the black crappie right and left and he even managed to get a LMB at 12 inches long! We went to his house (which is close by) and he donated his fish catch to us, one hell of a guy if ya ask me!

Totals were: Me = 1 crappie and 1 bluegill. Twin = 1 crappie.
CvFisher = 4 crappie, 1LMB, and 1 bluegill with tons more lost than caught.

I used a 1/16th jig head in orange and yellow with a mealworm as the jig body. My twin caught his on a black marabou jig tipped with a mealworm under a bobber.

Cutler Res looking glassy!
[Image: 740368.JPG]

My almost record Bluegill!
[Image: 740370.JPG]

A beautiful sunset at the Benson Marina
[Image: 740369.JPG]

Me and the almost record Bluegill. What a monster!
[Image: 740371.JPG]

The monster next to a 7 inch gill. And I used to think a 7 incher was a good size!
[Image: 740372.JPG]

My twin with his giant black crappie at 12 inches long!
[Image: 740366.JPG]
[signature]
Wow, nice goin' guys!
Thanks for the pics. I target bluegill quite a bit and anytime you can get a 10 inch or better gill here in Utah you have pulled in an above average fish for sure. Make sure you go check out Pelican Lake. There aren't as many "dinner plate" gills in there as in days past but there are still some huge ones and they are Angry...[:p]
[signature]
Way to go, dude. Not sure what is more rad, the hair or the big 'Gill. [cool]

Hard to judge the sizes of those nice fish when you hold it wayyyyy out in front of the camera like that, but those are nice anyways. Lots of folks don't believe me when I say there are Bluegills out there in Cutler, but we know better.
[signature]
Had some good times out there with you guys, but damn it was hot. I believe I sunburned my eyeballs[shocked]. I would have liked to get a look at whatever I hooked that made my reel scream until my line snapped. I love the Bear because you could catch any of about ten species on any given trip.
[signature]
[quote lavaman]Way to go, dude. Not sure what is more rad, the hair or the big 'Gill. [cool]

Hard to judge the sizes of those nice fish when you hold it wayyyyy out in front of the camera like that, but those are nice anyways. Lots of folks don't believe me when I say there are Bluegills out there in Cutler, but we know better.[/quote]

Come on I told you the measurements in the post and I even put a comparison pic of what we used to call a nice gill.

Those fish were monsters indeed! It puts the utah lake/willard/mantua gills and crappie to shame! 1 and 5/8th of an inch off the C&R record is truly a trophy in my opinion.

I keep getting closer to getting my name in the books! Wouldn't that be strange.....me with a C&R record after all the fish I have kept and eaten over the my fishing career? I can hardly remember the fish I have let go that were not mandatory to do so.
[signature]
I believe you. Those look like some nice ones.
[signature]
[quote wagdog]Thanks for the pics. I target bluegill quite a bit and anytime you can get a 10 inch or better gill here in Utah you have pulled in an above average fish for sure. Make sure you go check out Pelican Lake. There aren't as many "dinner plate" gills in there as in days past but there are still some huge ones and they are Angry...[:p][/quote]

We thought about hitting Pelican on our way home from our failed trip to the Flaming Gorge but the weather was going to suck. I hear great things about Pelican....maybe next spring or during the ice season.
[signature]
[quote CVfisher]Had some good times out there with you guys, but damn it was hot. I believe I sunburned my eyeballs[shocked]. I would have liked to get a look at whatever I hooked that made my reel scream until my line snapped. I love the Bear because you could catch any of about ten species on any given trip.[/quote]

The sun burn comment was LOL! Sure was a very hot day indeed! Gotta love bodies of water where ya just never know what is on the other end of the line. It sure was fun fishing with ya and thanks so much for not only inviting us but knocking off my twin's bucket list crappie!

Next up is East Canyon today and Uinta's thursday to knock off the elusive Brookie on both of our bucket lists! Thinking of Nelle on Friday and Sat and Sun is still "To be determined".
[signature]
[quote CVfisher]Had some good times out there with you guys, but damn it was hot. I believe I sunburned my eyeballs[shocked]. I would have liked to get a look at whatever I hooked that made my reel scream until my line snapped. I love the Bear because you could catch any of about ten species on any given trip.[/quote]

[center][font "Arial"][#bf0000][size 5]CARP ALERT[/size][/#bf0000][/font]
[/center]
if I had to guess. or could have been a wicked channel cat!
So not a single mud cat caught? How'd you do that!
Were you fishing high up in the water column?
I parked in the shade of a bridge -and it made things more "Bear"-able for sure.

[quote TyeDyeTwins]I keep getting closer to getting my name in the books! Wouldn't that be strange.....me with a C&R record [/quote]
Um, er - you'd have to actually RELEASE a fish to 'win' that record, and back into the water, not your belly bud! [pirate] Plus I think you'd need to add a tape measure to your photograph. Unless the hair counts as a scale. [crazy]
Seriously - I think you and Ninjasets should get together and have a "hair off" contest [cool]

And before ya get yer feathers ruffled - I'm just giving ya carp! Those are some nice fish, and folks were saying the REAL slabs were at the View! Hope you got your donation note all filled out proper like - haha.
How'd the PV mudcats work out? Tasty little morsels?

You twins must not work - with how much fishing ventures you get to. This is envy speaking, not a diss. So take it with a grain of salt.
LOL...coyote....worried about someone being sensitive much??? lol
[signature]
[quote CoyoteSpinner]You twins must not work - with how much fishing ventures you get to. This is envy speaking, not a diss. So take it with a grain of salt.[/quote]

Haha! That's just what I was thinking. I think about where I WOULD go fishing everyday- IF I didn't have to go to work. I too am envious of such an arrangement. Lucky bastiges!
[signature]
Whenever we think we were close to a record we check the proc, measure the fish, and if it is a record (it never is) we would get witnesses, take a pic of it with the measuring tape and take a pic of it being released in the water. Did I miss anything?

I do have a job as a door to door salesman selling pest control, which is ruff for a guy who has a bad knee. It is very flexible. My twin is "FUN-employed" and is looking for work. Next week I start looking hard core for a full time job! Until then it is Fish My Arse Off!
[signature]
thought you said you boys were going to college and were unemployed? either way its fun to fish alot! im up to 6 days a week for the past 4 weeks! finally taking a break this weekend to head up to our cabin.

anyway that was way off topic. did you guys get into any bass at all or see any? we have come across some gi-normous large mouth (dead) when we were out there duck hunting. way back in the day when we lived in smithfield when i was a kid my old man caught one that went over 5lbs but havent heard anything lately about them
[signature]
[quote kochanut]thought you said you boys were going to college and were unemployed? either way its fun to fish alot! im up to 6 days a week for the past 4 weeks! finally taking a break this weekend to head up to our cabin.

anyway that was way off topic. did you guys get into any bass at all or see any? we have come across some gi-normous large mouth (dead) when we were out there duck hunting. way back in the day when we lived in smithfield when i was a kid my old man caught one that went over 5lbs but havent heard anything lately about them[/quote]

Cvfisher got into a LMB while we were there. Now days I am employed and the twin isn't. College is on hold until we get enough volunteer hours to join the BSW (social worker) program.

Loving the fish fest for now but life is going to get in the way next week and so will end most of the fun.[frown]
[signature]
I lost a beast in the marsh on a black buzzbait at dusk about a month or so ago. It threw water three feet in the air and just about ripped my arm off before it came off. They are definitely in there.
[signature]
[quote wagdog]Thanks for the pics. I target bluegill quite a bit and anytime you can get a 10 inch or better gill here in Utah you have pulled in an above average fish for sure. Make sure you go check out Pelican Lake. There aren't as many "dinner plate" gills in there as in days past but there are still some huge ones and they are Angry...[:p][/quote]

Pelican was a blast about five years ago. I caught several 11" and on a hair under 12" and on a 8' glass fly rod...yeah baby!

Nice fish twins, as usual. Love the fish pixz
[signature]
Multiple record breaking fish, eh?

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/vernal/re..._lake.html
[signature]
[inline RULER.jpg]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][/quote]

+1 on the rulers!
[signature]