Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mice Flies
I have seen them in peoples fly boxes and all over websites when im looking for new patterns to tie. I have heard they work quite well in Alaska, but i was wondering if any Utah rivers and streams are the same way?

I would love to go after some big fish with a large mouse pattern that i tied but maybe i am pushing my luck with the streams we have.

Any input??
[signature]
Dusk to dark, BROWNS love them things. Weber, Provo, even Strawberry for some big Cutts.
[signature]
I picked one up the other day at fish tech to try out myself. Looking forward to a fight on the streams here in UT with a mouse pattern.[Smile]
[signature]
I caught a big brown once with a mouse halfway down his throat. I went out and picked up a meece fly pretty quick. Has worked fairly well [Wink]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Dusk to dark, BROWNS love them things. Weber, Provo, even Strawberry for some big Cutts.[/quote]

What is the most effective way home to fish a mouse fly?
[signature]
Have him swim after a cheese fly....

Plop it as close to a bank or log as you can and short strips...making a commotion with the fly is not a bad.thing [Smile]
[signature]
Think along the lines of where they are likely to appear - falling in off an edge. On the rivers - look for big undercuts, bends - where a lunker Brownie or Cutt might hang out - pitch above and let it float down - they'll come out and slam it.
Can work great for night fishing in fall, if you dare. The big ones come out to stock up on big protein before winter hits.

What FlyGoddess - you're not gonna post some of them cute widdle buggers you tie? I love your mousies!
[quote joshomaru]Have him swim after a cheese fly....

Plop it as close to a bank or log as you can and short strips...making a commotion with the fly is not a bad.thing [Smile][/quote]

EXACTLY
[signature]
The hour of the day is critical. On rivers, casting to the bank and don't be gentle at all. Literally slap it on the water the way a real mouse would hit.
Now on stillwater, you really don't have to cast to the bank. I have had fish in 18' of water.
[signature]