Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Castaic fishing report for 9/20
[cool] Hey there fellow anglers,

Got to Castaic at 4:50 am. Water was calm and @73degs. Set out with my son in our brand new Caddis float tubes (thanks to TD) and we were waderless. We kicked around for a couple hrs before anything started to bite. The bluegills woke up first so we decided to pound on them for awhile. Couldn't get any over a pound so we decided to let them all stay and grow up for a future trip(if the lake is still open) ha ha. Eventually the LMB woke up but got really finicky. We were using power worms, lunkers, grubbs and nothing would budge. I hooked my son up with a dropshot rig and a small purple sparkle 3" worm. That was working for him. He caught a 5lbr and decided to release it to grow up as well. In the mean time I was chucking my 6" rainbow around but only got a good workout for the morning.

We decided to shore and store our gear around 9:00 . All in all the score was Anglers 2- bluegills- 33 LMB-3 all C&R. Only they anglers made it home.
[signature]
Im sorry to hear that the fishing was lousy, I bet that 5 lb bass put up a good fight.[Wink]
[signature]

Hey there tubeN2,

Way to go. I'm not too picky of an angler. If I've got some kind of action, like the 33 gills give you guys, I'd consider the 3 LMB to be icing on the cake.

I have been known to drive fellow anglers crazy as I don't get competitive or really, really agressively fish while they're half-paniced, worried about putting a count on the boards. ha ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool] Hey JR, Beggars can't be choosers. But for that 8 mil reward, I would rather settle for the big boy. Besides, after catching 2lb+ blue gills there, the little ones don't exite me as much. If we plan on a fish fry or something then I might consider a few of those 1-1.5 lbs ones. They are still good eating when you decide to keep them.
[signature]
[cool]Hey there BC, Yes I do fish from the dock often. The swimbait that I am using is just like the one that you are talking about. Although I have a 4in sinking, 6in sinking and a 9in floating. When I am on the dock with the bigger ones, I have no choice but to use a stout rod. My rod of choice is usually one of my ocean poles. It has the strength that I need to lift one of the big dogs up out of the water from that height. For the smaller bass and bluegill, I use a standard 5' ultralight spinning rod. With the bluegills, I will generally use 2# line and the bass are fine on 4#. The lighter the better. It gives you more of a fight and alot more bang for your buck. I will also be up there this weekend on Saturday from early a.m. till around noon. Not sure about Sunday yet. I'll have to play it by ear.
[signature]