Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Quick Evening Bass Trip
I've been wanting to get out bass fishing all week, but I've been stuck working graves and I ended up sleeping most of the day all week. Well yesterday, with the crisp fall like weather, I just couldn't resist. I didn't get on the water until 630, so my time was limited, but I'm glad I did. It was even windier than last week when I set out, and the water had dropped several feet. After catching the perch monster last week, I was actually going to go looking for some panfish so I could make fish tacos. I had a second light action rod rigged up with a dropshot and a small 2.5" reaper. I immediately got some taps and pulled in a little bass. Shortly after I caught a better bass.[inline "bass small.JPG"] And then another.[inline "bass 2 small.JPG"] Well, I had less than two hours until dark, so if the bass were going to be this way, I felt I had an obligation to play with them. I got my other dropshot rod out and dropped down the fathead worm I'd been doing so well on last week and hooked a couple more good ones.[inline "bass 3 small.JPG"]
I decided to mix things up and tried a Scrounger head with a fluke body, and caught another good fish,[inline "scrounger bass small.JPG"] followed by about a 12". If they were active enough for that, I thought they may be active enough to hit a crankbait. I immediately brought in a 6" dink, and then pretty much text book, I nailed a good fish casting across a windswept point. [inline "crank bass small.JPG"] That thing really fought. I taped it at 18". I decided that my ultralight was feeling left out, so I clipped the little jig off of it that I'd intended to use on perch, and put on a little Lucky Craft 65DD jerkbait in a perch pattern. Bam, fish on. He was about 12", but he had that little rod doubled. I scored three more like him in quick succession from the same area. I moved around the point and missed one, but then it quieted down. I tried the other side of the point and scored a few dinks and another small crappie. This one was smaller than last weeks, which shows multiple age classes in the lake, and it came from a totally different area. I think the crappie are there to stay. Well, it was nearly dark at this point. I tried a topwater, but nothing would come up for it. Right as I was about to leave, I caught two little six inch bass on the jerkbait, one on each treble. I kind of wish I'd taken a picture as that doesn't happen often, but they were fingerlings so I decided not to. Anyway, a good night, and hopefully a sign of things to come with the cooler weather.
[signature]
Great Report. I just wish I lived closer to that lake. Great pics.

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks! I do feel quite blessed to have so many nice little reservoirs nearby. The only challenge now is tearing myself away from this one to try some of the other waters now that the boat traffic should be dying down.
[signature]
'mon now, which one were you at?
Nice stuff, great day for you, and a good story for us.
Makes me wonder, where should I go this weekend? Trout, bass, carp, perch? Pretty lucky we are out here even if it is getting chilly out.
[signature]
It's the one within 20 miles of Preston [:p] That is the fantastic thing about this area, all the variety. I can drive less than an hour from my house and pretty well have all the species covered. I love it. As for it getting chilly, that's a good thing in my book. I love fishing jerkbaits and lipless cranks, but this spring was so screwy that I didn't get to fish them much. Once it starts cooling down, the bass get fired up for them again.
[signature]
so how deep were you fishing the dropshots?? also were there still allot up in the shallows next to the bank?? im in a debate right now on were i want to go this weekend and this place is on my list just not sure yet..
[signature]
The fish I caught on the dropshot were in about 15-20'. As it got closer to evening fish were moving up closer to shore where I nabbed them on the jerkbait and crankbait.

I went back on Wednesday, and there were a lot more fish in the shallows. Most were 12" or under, but I missed one good one, and saw a big one following in a 12" I was fighting. Still, the best fish were deep in 16-20' that day too.[inline "bass 2 small.JPG"][inline "fatty magoo small.JPG"]

I kind of wonder what this middle one has been eating.[inline "bass small.JPG"]
[signature]
They are sure looking nice and healthy. Whatever they have been eating it is working great. Sure nice to see that many good fish. You do have the "touch"!
[signature]
Looks like you have a real nice spot there.
Those Bass look very healthy.[Wink]
[signature]
nice fish ! looks like a fun lake
[signature]
Well thanks guys. There are so many bass and panfish fry in the shallows at all the local bass ponds this year, I think we're going to see some very healthy fish. With all the water, I'd imagine we're going to have some huge trout in the spring as well because we'll have good carry over. I haven't been too crazy about the fishing overall this year, but I think it will lead to really good fishing down the road.
[signature]