Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provo Harbor 9-3
Myself, my Dad (4fins) and Jason (bnc) and Jason's neighbor hit Provo harbor in hopes of a repeat of a couple weeks ago. http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ost=684870

The south launch ramp and day use area is still blocked off to vehicle traffic so we had to haul our stuff further than I would have liked. But it was good test run of the tube dolly my Dad built. Jason was first in the water and after our last minute potty breaks, Dad and I soon followed him into the cold Provo River water. It amazes me how fast the water transitions from the upper 50s to the lower 70s as we work our way out.

At the no wake buoy we started heading south into the reeds. We worked the area we were in a few weeks ago and spread out and moved south. My first fish was a 4 inch white bass. I thought about clubbing him over the head and sticking a big hook through him, but he ended up being tossed back in the water.

That was my only white bass all day. Everything else was crappies, crappies and more crappies. My beginning technique was to have a worm under a bobber on my second pole and cast and retrieve jigs on my primary pole. The whole morning I only had one small hit on the worm so I switched my second pole to jigs. With one pole in each hand and stretched out over either side of the tube, I worked them vertically as I slowly kicked parallel to the reeds. I switched to this technique as we were working our way back and I caught one fish for about every ten feet mostly with the pole closest to the reeds. When I'd catch one, I'd put the other pole in the holder so that I could land the fish and get it in the basket. Often while I was unhooking the fish, the pole in the holder would go bendo and I'd have to quickly hurry up and bring in the next fish. Once, there were two fish on the second pole by the time I got to it. My first triple ever.

I ended the day with 16 crappies plus another half dozen small ones I threw back. My Dad had 2 white bass, 7 crappies, and the prize of the day: a 23.5 inch, 5lb walleye! (his first walleye, by the way)

We left before Jason and his neighbor so I'm not sure what their totals were. Maybe they'll chime in and post their numbers and maybe some pictures.
[signature]
Sounds like a good day. Everytime I go to the lake I make a goal of not catching any mudders or wbs, but always seem to anyways. Nice job on the crappie and walleye!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Great report and pics. Looks like Dad is all tricked out and has gone over to the dark side for good. Those walleye will do that to ya. Congrats on a great day.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I ended up the day nicely. I had 1 eater size perch, 1 catfish 22 incher (caught on my ultralight which made the fight bigger then it should have been!), 3 whites, and 10 crappies that were worth keeping.

After you guys left, the fishing slowed a lot. We stayed about another hour, with only a few more fish caught, most of which were small enough that they weren't worth keeping.

My friend ended his day with 2 crappies and 1 white. Good day of fishing, and a lot of fun.
[signature]
Good report. Excellent job fellas. It is good to see folks harvesting crappie. There is a healthy population in Utah Lake but the average size is on the low end of the slab-spectrum. Legal harvest can only help at this point in my ever-so-humble opinion. Good job on the walleye.
[signature]
Good work on the Walleye..a prize for sure! My twin has caught some of those Utah Lake crappie but I have yet to (haven't tried very hard tho). Might just have to give the "provo mud puddle another try this year before it ices up for the Walleye/Crappie. Thanks for the post guys.
[signature]
Sounds like you guys had tons of fun out there! Late summer crappies are a good sign these days, you know you are doing something right if you can find them this time of year.

We had an invite to hit saratoga with a new friend but decided with it being labor day weekend and all we'd get sea sick from all the boat chop. We opted for mantua instead. Dam, no Walleye's in mantua though! Makes me want my 1st walleye all the more now that guys are getting them at Utah Lake.
[signature]