Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Fishing: Getting started...
Over the last few weeks I've convinced myself that I want to pickup some fly fishing equipment and give it a shot.

I've done quite a bit of a reading, and from what I see... Most will say to start with a 9' rod, with a 4-6 fly line.
That said, I've kinda got it in my head that I'd like to fish small streams, and perhaps the odd river. For now, I'm targetting small brook, brown, and speckled trout. With that in mind, I've been considering getting a slightly shorter rod 8'6, with a 4 weight line.

Does this make sense or should I go back to doing some more reading?

Also, I've been on the search for good websites providing info on what flies to use, as well as possible fishing locations in and around Southern Quebec / Ontario. If anyone has any suggestions, tips or anything... I'm in vaccuum up all information mode and would truly appreciate any help / info.
[signature]
In general a good starting rod for general use is a 9 foot 6wt... however.. on smaller streams and rivers.. where the fish will come in the 1 - 2 pound range at most... and for smaller fish like gills, crappies, small bass.. etc.. a lot of anglers will go with the smaller 8foot 6 inch 4 wt...

From personal experience I have used a 9 foot 6 wt on smaller streams and quite honestly have at times it to be too much rod for the size of fish I tend to catch... (for example I have caught smaller fish ((2 - 4 inches and not known or felt they were on the hook and did not find out until I tried to cast again and see them on the fly) I think in that same situation a nice 4 wt would be more than adequate and more fun to fish..
[signature]
I really like the Cabela's Three Forks 7.5 ft 3 wt rod for small streams. It is very inexpensive, but it has really performed well for me. It casts easily and accurately for short distances. It also handles some larger fish quite well. It's short length makes it easy to maneuver in tight situations. It is more specialized to smaller streams than a 5 wt rod which is more of an all around choice.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-T...l+Products
[signature]
I would still say a 5 wt. In at least an 8' 6". That rod will cover everything, seriously. A 5 will do everything a 4 will but not the other way around....to a point. A 5 will be easier for bigger flies and wind too.
But if you got your heart set on a 4 wt. then I agree with Mac, maybe a 7'er for them small streams and creeks.
I still say, don't skimp on the line.

As far as flies, I am old school. Prince Nymph, Copper Johns, Haresears, Pheasant Tails, for dries, Hoppers, Stimulators, Caddis, Parachutes in different colors like PMD, BWO, even a pale yellow.
And of course WOOLLY BUGGERS!
[signature]
The way I was looking at it is that the Cabela's rod is such a low price, then most could afford to use it just for small streams, and get another all around rod.

But as Fly Goddess and Mac said the 5 or 6 wt in about a 9' are the best for all around use. If you can only get one then get a 5wt. It will work on small streams also. If there is lots of brush and restricted casting then the longer length can cause small issues. On the other hand if there is wind you will appreciate having the 5 wt. The longer length can also work for just reaching up into a small hole on a stream.

Good luck!
[signature]
I have a free flyfishing ebook on my site. It goes through a lot of basics. The link is on the right hand side of all of the pages.

But first and foremost, the rod should be customized to your environment. If you are fishing a lake from a boat or an open field, or fishing a really wide river then a long rod is best. If you are fishing a narrow stream, then a short rod is best. If you are new to fly fishing then a floating leader with weight forward is best. I suggest practicing your cast in your front yard before you get in the stream, or else you will be spending most of your time untangling your tippet from the weeds and trees.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

[#ff0000][size 1]Users are not allowed to post an active link in any post or their signatures... please remove the link from your signature...
[/size][/#ff0000]
A four weight is ideal for fishing smaller streams and rivers. The height of the rod will depend on the amount of brush that you have and overhead trees. For [url "http://www.montanaangler.com"]Montana fly fishing[/url] where I live, we normally use a 9' rod since a lot of our smaller streams are meadowed and not as heavily treed so you aren't always casting under a canopy of branches. I like a 7.5 foot 3 wt when fishing eastern streams. When you are just throwing small attractor dries a 3 or 4wt is plenty.
[signature]
But would you feel comfortable with ONLY a four weight. I know I sure wouldn't.
We are talking ONE rod here, not adding to what they already have.
[signature]
Yes - if you mostly fish small streams I would go with a four weight. I still use a four weight on bigger rivers like the Gallatin and even the Madison when throwing dries but it is light when there is wind. If you mostly fish streams that you can easily wade across a 4 weight if fine. If you spend most of your time on streams that you can't normally wade across then go to a 5 wt. Here in Montana we use a 6 wt as the all around rod on big rivers like the Madison and 5 wts on medium sized rivers. When I lived in Pennsylvania I mostly fished a 4 wt and only used a 5 wt when fishing the bigger streams. I rarely needed a 6 wt in PA unless fishing streamers.

Brian McGeehan
[url "http://www.montanaangler.com"]Montana fishing guide[/url]
[signature]
I agree, small streams a four weight, I even use a 2 wt., but I have several to choose from. If I could only have one and mind you, I fish Utah, Idaho and Montana, it would be a 5 weight. Delicate enough for small streams but backbone for bigger, plus bigger flies. Plus Stillwater use. The action of the rod is also going to determine the presentation of flies. I actually have an eight weight that is lighter than most five and even four weights. I have used it to cast #26 dries.

Again, I am just saying "One" rod, get one that can cast weight, use on streams, creek and rivers plus stillwater. I think a 5' no less than 8' length.

Add to this, this is a beginner.
[signature]
since you are just getting started i would personally recommend a 9' 5 wt rod to start. i would say get a redington crosswater and an okuma slv reel.... you will have less than 120 in the combo and then if you find you like fly fishing I second cpierce's recomendation of the 7'6'' three forks in a 3 wt. then you have one for small streams and one for bigger waters. if you work on your casting and learn to roll cast you can fish a 9'er in the heaviest cover. it will not be as easy as a shorter rod but can be done by anyone. i feel if you had these two setups you would be covering all your needs.
[signature]