Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willow Beach 9/9
Got there around 7pm to some pretty strong winds (they died off around 9pm) and caught nothing but weeds all night. Something I thought was strange was while fishing from the Pier the current was flowing north towards Hoover Dam. Even after a very long cast straight out from the pier the line settled towards the dam. I also saw a boat drift by with the current heading north? I have never been down to willow beach before but I am pretty sure the river normally flows south.[:/] We did a lot of chumming with cut up chovies but to no avail. I have always had much better luck down near Laughlin but was hoping for something closer to home (Vegas).
Maybe next time.
Tight Lines
B[fishin]
[signature]
must be leap year
[signature]
The water runs north when the dam is in use. They don't usually generate power at night so the water flows the other way. Also the wind could have been a factor.
[signature]
[quote gnelson651]The water runs north when the dam is in use. They don't usually generate power at night so the water flows the other way.[/quote]

Can we get a reference?
[signature]
I have noticed the current seemingly running north at times right after dusk. It is strange.
[signature]
I noticed the exact same thing down there a few weeks ago.... Zero wind and the current running the wrong direction ... I thought I was tripping but guess not lol... My youngest even casted her pole in from the left side of the pier the whole thing ... I caught it on a huge swim bait about 10feet north of where we were standing... During the day you can also see the weeds all flowing north... Pretty strange..
Maybe it has to do with the big bend right there at the marina making the east side run north while the west side runs south... Kind if a whirl pool thingy.... Just a assumption haha..
[signature]
In any river, there are different current zones.

[inline current.bmp]

And there will always be seeming discrepancies from wind and eddies. But the main river flows on.
[signature]