Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Help
I have an old 85 Bayline with an 85 horse US Marine, which I believe is a Force motor. 3 Cylinder.

Had new plugs, one new coil as needed. I was able to get to 29 mph on boat speedo. After 5 hours of trolling, with happy trolling plate down, with plate up all it would go is about 13 mph.

Any Ideas, just fouled plugs? It is pushing water out, so the
pump is working.

Is there a way to clean plugs, these are NGK's
[signature]
wow, that sounds like you could have a few issues. fuel would be my first guess, carb would be second, plugs, electrical, or gear problems... explain more and i might can help
[signature]
If you where running fine before I would check your plugs, that motor has been known to do that. always carry spares with you for that reason. if you open the gap up about ten thousandth it will help a little.
[signature]
I clean plugs with starter fluid.
[signature]
had a problem exactly like that. Its your stater get it checked. Freds marrine is a good spot.
[signature]
I would definately think fouled plugs. I HAD a '96 Force 120 and yours is probably very similar to where it is not oil injected but pre-mix gas. If you are trolling you are using the same amount of oil that the motor is recommended to use at full throttle which is way too much to run at idle for an extended period. If you must troll with that motor, it is smart to reel in your poles about once every half hour to hour and drive full throttle for a couple minutes to blow out the crap that builds up in your cylinders and spark plug. Hope this helps.
[signature]
Fin-Addict is totally correct, your main motor is not meant for trolling, will it work, sure it will, but it is very hard on them, especially older ones.
Sounds to me like you need to invest in a kicker motor, plus it's always good to have an extra motor in case something happens to your main motor. Kicker motors also use a lot less fuel while you are trolling. We all do what we have to do but it might be something to consider in the future.
[signature]
What's the compression? Is the cylinder bleeding off?
[signature]