Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry on the fly
Fished the Berry on Saturday testing out my prototype RexFly casting system. Caught some really nice cutts and bows all in water 6-15 feet deep. I was casting a Flash Fry - or at least I think that's what its called - its white and gray bunny streamer with dumbell epoxy head. I only used my floating line and that streamer could not have been more than a couple feet down when those fish would hit it.
I missed many more fish than I landed but I did manage 2 bows and 3 cutts in the boat. Great day and my little invention worked great.
Here's a video of one of the cutts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5WGst7Ku...re=related
[signature]
Nice fish. That is an interesting and very different system you have there, but may I ask what the advantages are and why? What need do you feel it fulfills? thanks for posting.
[signature]
That was extremely slow to land a fish. Easily 10 times what it should have taken you to land . What advantage are you trying to obtain with your system.
[signature]
I don't get it either. What's the point?
[signature]
No offense, but this is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.
[signature]
Glad you had fun at the Berry! Your prototype confuses me too as to the purpose. What is the advantage to seperating the reel? Are you trying to lighten the weight? I know I would fumble the reel and drop it in the lake. It also looks like I would be paying more attention to the reel and line than to the fish. I also catch my rod from slipping out of my hand with a finger or two by the reel, I could see me throwing a rod in the lake. Big question,why?
[signature]
The advantage is primarily in casting. Without the weight of the reel on your rod, you are able to cast lighter and easier. You can generate greater line speed and cast all day long.
Try it out for yourself. Next time you are out casting, take your reel off you rod and put it in your pocket. Feel how easy it is to cast.
You also will never wrap your line around your reel again as we've all done countless times. It can also be used as a rod holder so you have both hands free to tie on leader or fly.
[signature]
Seems interesting but like the the others I don't see any real advantages of separating the rod from the reel. but I have yet to try it so I wont pass judgement until ive tried something.

Any chance one can get a demo of your system to give it a test ???
[signature]
hrmm seems ok i guess? defenitly a different way of going about it
[signature]
Ok, so if the system is mainly used for casting why then when you hook a fish you don't get the reel back on the rod and bring the fish in as quickly as possible instead of taking the reel on and off and screwing around? Or was that just for demonstration?
[signature]
Interesting idea. Having designed fly rods, we used to design rods to balance with the reel as part of the performance. Good luck with your designs.

Funny thing about fly line it tangels and catches every thing. If I ever go sky diving I'm taking a fly line with me! Now if you can design a line that doesn't catch on my pants,shoes,vest,net and every branch I walk by, you will be on to something.
[signature]
I'm too old to change.. ha, ha, but if it is working for you and you feel it gives you an advantage, then I say "go for it". Nothing wrong with experimenting a little...
Good luck!
[signature]
I do appreciate your feedback. I wish I could fish for several days without the fatigue issues I've been dealing with. On stillwaters, I do alot of double hauling to get my fly out far enough. I'm not going to win any distance competitions but I can cast a fly as far as my buddies can throw a 1/4 oz tube jig when I have the reel on the rod. After a couple of hours of this, I start to lose feeling in my hand. It may not seem like much, but those extra ounces with the reel, line and backing on your rod really take their toll on a day of fishing.

By taking the reel off the rod I am able to cast lighter, shorten my stroke, generate greater line speed and add another 20-30 feet to my cast. Moreover, I can cast twice as long before my hand starts getting numb. I wish I could say it completely prevented that from happening but its just something I have to deal with (same thing happens after riding a motorcycle for 30 minutes). Ripping line off the water and shooting line is much easier without the reel slowing you down.

The RexFly can actually be used with any rod and reels. The rod adapter screws into your reel seat just like your reel. Changing it to another rod is the same as changing your reel. And now you don't need to buy the most expensive, lightest reel on the market but rather a reel with a good drag that holds all the backing you will ever need.

I hope to have some more models soon that people can try and tell me what they think. This is very unconventional but I just ask you keep an open mind and next time you are out casting where distance matters, try taking your reel off and see how it feels. It will seem strange the first few casts, but shorten your casting stroke and see how easy it is to cast and how much more distance you get. [cool]
[signature]
There was a song in the '60's by a guy named Napoleon XIV. Fits this post perfectly.
[signature]
I am echoing the others in saying first off, if it works for you then your battle is won.
As far as the lightening, I would think you are making the tip very heavy with the weight of the line and no reel. Fatigue comes from a miss match in my opinion.
Too heavy of a reel, too light of a reel. If the tip of the rod is heavy, it will beat you up.
I found that out first hand this weekend. Casting a nice Hardy The Test with a CFO reel. Effortless and casting constantly. I was in heaven and on the river 8 hours straight for several days. In y stupidity, I broke the tip on the rod and was then forced to use a ten foot five weight with a Allen reel.....OMG what a club, and my shoulder is killing me! Light reel, miss match with the rod, making the tip heavy.

I know several that put lead fishing line as backing on their reels to balance out old bamboo, and by balancing them, they really are enjoyable.

I think LINE is the most important thing to casting, and distance.

That being said, again, you have won your battle.

I would have a mess of line between me and the rod, I just know it[cool]

Like Jim, I think rods are designed with the idea of attaching an appropriate reel, and they take into account the weight of the line at the tip.

Now if you like just the feel of the reel.......

http://youtu.be/-dp8RK8_sRw
[signature]