Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you fish?
A wise man once said that when you start fishing a lot, you become a philosopher, but that its hard to afford good tackle on a philosophers salary.

Anyways I have been thinking a lot about why I fish and wanted to see why others fish as well.

I think I do it for the chase and excitement of catching a fish. It doesn't matter where or what I am fishing for I always get excited when I see the line go tight and the rod start to bend.
[signature]
I am addicted to fishing . Anything from a 4" Bluegill to a 10 pound Rainbow . I love Trolling , Sitting still bait fishing to floating the river . I love PalaSades,Mackay Res . Twin Lakes , Island Park Res. Henry's . The Snake river from Tilden Bridge all the way up to where the North Fork and the South Fork come together . Oh and all year round . I enjoy Ice Fishing just as much . If all goes well I will be Retired in 22 months and I will have all the time in the world to pursue my favorite Past Time . I will be spending 20 of the next 30 days Fishing and hunting Geese in Island Park . It is my favorite time of the year . Last Wednesday I was the only boat on Island Park Res. Curt G.
[signature]
I never wonder why I love to fish. Unless I am fishing in the rain and the fish wont bite.[crazy]
The only time I feel stupid is when I go Duck hunting in October. Rarely do I kill any birds and usually I am standing in water wishing I brought my fishing pole and not a shotgun.
I have fished now for the last 45 years(started at 5). Love it the first time and never stopped.[cool]
[signature]
Why? For the love of it, the fun, the challenge, and especially for where it takes me. Maybe some of it is that the grass is always greener, and I am always looking for that next special spot, or that fly, or the technique that is the best ever. It is always different, even if I return to the same spot and catch the same fish.

There is so much to learn and do, I am never bored.
[signature]
Well put. I think that's a major part - it gives you a reason and cause to get out there and explore. I get to places with my boat that I NEVER would have were it not for fishing.

The scenery, the sites, the sounds, the wildlife, the weather changes. Reading a lake, river - trying to 'think like a fish".

But at that - there's so many different fish, different ways of fishing - it's endless. I enjoy getting onto a pattern or place where I feel confident I can go and get into fish. But then there's the challenge and adrenalin of trying something new, different. There's a rush about going to a new lake and launching to the unknown. There's also a rush about hooking into a big fish and hoping to get a good look at it. Or that anguish of the one that gets away before you do - and leaves you itching to get it again!

It's hard to choose only one option - I think the results speak to that. I like the sport, but I feel satisfaction from providing for the table, and fresh caught fish beats ANYTHING you can buy at the store (unless you live in a coastal area). But there's also the sport of C&R - catching as many, and as big a fish as you can (CPR).

The creativity of tackle-craft adds to the hobby. I guess it taps into various aspects of my obsessive/compulsive disorder. My kids call it my latest addiction - I call it obsession. Who knows - maybe next week I'll give it all up, and sell everything off on KSL. (doubt it - ice season approaches!)
I think I love it because, at the heart of a man...He is a problem solver. So when life gets us down and is so complicated...and it seems we cant win for losing...Fishing gives me something to pour my passions into...Luckily there are enough successful trips to outway the crappy ones otherwise I doubt I would do it very often. Women always ask me why men love video games so much...I think its for the very same reason...it gives us a feeling of success at solving a problem when we are frustrated with the lack of success in other areas of life....thats why guys who play alot get very Angry if they lose constantly....because its not helping its just adding to the failures...But I also understand that Fishing is called "FISHING", and not "CATCHING" for a reason...the thrill of the chase is definate, and although any day fishing is supposedly better than any day working....I beg to differ...If I get skunked im very frustrated and drive home thinking of all the other things I could have done instead...bummer...but true.
[signature]
But also I agree with the others...the sites and sounds and smell of the outdoors is amazing...the change of seasons...the trees and colors...the changing patterns of the fishes behaviors....there is so much to know and learn...I think ive learned enough to be a competant fisherman, yet still get skunked once in a while...trying to understand fish habits and behaviors is tough and sometimes I long for my childhood days of sitting on the pier with a cane pole and a bobber...hoping the next bite will land the big one, and not get my bait stolen by the infamous lite bite of a perch...hahaha...fishing was alot less complicated back then...
[signature]
I love the hunt, finding the right equipment and coming up with your own design, the competion with the others fishing in your area and not catchin or are out catchin you, being out there in this God created creation (can you imagine what heaven will be like), the time with family and friends, and besides the taste of the harvest helps bring it all together when compared to farm raised versions of the same.

The challenge, frustration, success helps after a rough week in the world.

Lets go fishing![fishin]
[signature]
[quote Jimbojump]sometimes I long for my childhood days of sitting on the pier with a cane pole and a bobber...hoping the next bite will land the big one, and not get my bait stolen by the infamous lite bite of a perch...hahaha...fishing was alot less complicated back then...[/quote]

Agreed. I had the most fun then but I still love more than just about anything now!
[signature]
I love to fish because I'm not near a phone with someone calling me about something. I love to fish because I love seeing God's creations in all the sounds, smells and beautiful sites of nature He has created. I love fishing because I admire the wonder of each fish species in its efficient form, splendid myriad of colors and pulsating fight on the end of my line AND I love eating fish almost as much as I love catching them. I love fishing because it unwinds me like almost nothing else does. I come home after a fishing trip and my wife says I am almost a new man (in my demeanor). I love to fish because I get to spend quality time with loved ones like my son and/or father and now my grand kids.
I love to fish to catch new species of fish I have never caught. Fish fascinate me like only birds do, the way they act or move or challenge the mind to comprehend them. And I love to fish simply because I do!!!

DeeCee
[signature]
I love to fish?
I thought i forgot why i love to fish then i took my boy up on a creek for his sixth birth day in August and we started the day with only one pole as he gets tired of fishing after the seventh or eighth fish caught but on this trip he decided he wanted his own pole so remembering back to my most exciting fishing trip i can remember (as a cub scout) i made him his own fishing pole with some line off my reel and a willow branch. he wasn't impressed so i gave him my pole and fished with the willow branch and caught close to ten brookies and had the time of my life before he took the pole away from me and started to use it.

long story short i love to fish because it takes me back to a simpler time when my only worries were what I was going to play or do next to keep me from being bored or getting into trouble!
[signature]
I think it's the escape. Everything else fades away into the background. All I focus on is the challenge of bringing the fish out of hiding, the scenery, the sound of the water, the thrill of the catch, and the beauty of the fish. There is no better way to de-stress than to take a day off and spend it out at the water. In addition to all this is the sense of adventure. Sometimes it is just as exciting to explore and try to find a new fishing hole as it is to actually fish.
[signature]