Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleaning up at the Knolls (Catwise)
[cool][#0000ff]Having had past experience with how fast the trashers can destroy the Knolls after a cleanup I thought I would check it out after less than 2 weeks since the big cleanup program. S'prise. Still looks pretty good. More targets left by shooters since then than trash by the angling contingent.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fall must be fallin'. Gettin' lighter later. It was still kinda darkish as I was getting ready to launch just after 6:30. Finally light enough at 7. Air temp 57 and water temp 10 degrees higher at 67. Probably the last time I will get to fish waderless this year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The daybreak ripple turned into a fairly airy east breeze after daybreak. And the water had a dingy brownish tinge. Not my favorite. Wasn't getting any hits on plastics or cranks. But the kitties came out to play with the minnows. Caught the first one in about 5 feet of water within a few minutes of launch. Got several more in the first hour. Lookin' good. Was good...for kitties anyways.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I brought chub minnows, small white bass and some carp meat for bait. The everlovin' kitties voted for all of it. Caught a few on everything. The white bass ate all the bait too...plus occasionally a jig. But not nearly as many as in previous times.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There were a lot of the 4" babies and they were frustrating. Couldn't get through 'em to find something bigger. Not much bigger when you could. Did get a few white bass on whole small white bass...and minnows...and carp meat. Also got a few on plastics. But, since I have several packages of white bass fillets in the freezer I didn't harvest any whities today. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Worked hard to try to find a walleye. Zippo. With all those baby white bass they are probably stuffed. I'm thinking that a bit of a drop in water temp wouldn't hurt either. By the time I got off the water about 1 the water was calm and the water temp was up to 70 degrees. A[/#0000ff][#0000ff] nice algae bloom was forming on the surface...and collecting along the shoreline. The green sheen.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I found willing kitties in all depths from 5 feet to over 8 feet today. Caught them the full length of the shoreline from where I parked to past the point. I did keep a limit of 8 for the smoker but I lost count of how many I released. Probably turned loose at least another 8 or 10, including a couple of two footers. I was keeping only smaller fish today.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Several bank tanglers working the shoreline when I came in. They were getting lots of hits. Plenty of wild "whiffs" and a few bitty whities coming in. The happy harvesters were keeping them all. Only saw a couple of decent size white bass and no other species.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The lake was like glass as I headed for the fillet table.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice title! [:p]Anyways you have done it my friend, I am picking up a smoker in the next few days after your kitty treats you fed me. Glad to see you did well but no surprise there man, as usual. The snow will fly soon though, I hear the higher elevations may get it next week.[Smile] Nice to see the RC Killer getting some action too. Might have to make a trip down there soon as I have a date with Cablea's and a broken pontoon seat. Thanks for the report and pics. Keep on fishin on! I know you will!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck with finding a good deal on a smoker. As we discussed, lots more folks are into that kinda thing these days so there aren't as many "smokin' deals". And the good ones go quick.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since I have your permission, I SHALL keep fishing. I give you the same permission. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
You are the cat master! Or the cast master, one or the other. Either way nice catch! DC is HOT right now for our walleye / bass friends, PM for more info.
[signature]
Nice job my friend. I was out there 3 weeks ago and the white bass turned their nose at me as well. Only caught three. However, strip bait worthy and enough to replentish the supply but no massive numbers. On the exciting side I threw out a chub minnow right at the "magic tree area" and immediatly the line took off. Hit the stick and head shaking was on....WALLEYE!! But he threw the hook at the toon to my dismay. That would have been my biggest to date as he poked through the surface, showed me a huge body and head, blew me a toothy kiss and spit my hook onto my cutting board..lol. Hope to hit that area one more time before the white stuff blows and the ice poles bow!
[signature]
Great report. Gotta love it when the fish are willing to cooperate. Hope to have some great cooperation with 9 species at my next water hole this coming saturday. Going to spend a day (and a night) on the powell. Gotta love it![Smile]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That spot is really underappreciated for walleyes. They are around all year but they are not as easy to catch as other places in the lake. But they do like minnows.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sorry for your loss. Been that, done there...or however that goes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Mid to late October should be good. The fish are deeper but still cooperative.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote westonater1980]You are the cat master! Or the cast master, one or the other. Either way nice catch! DC is HOT right now for our walleye / bass friends, PM for more info.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]DC is one of the next venues on my dance card. I usually do well there through the fall months. I like to fish it all year...but not when I have to dodge all the wackos in the power squadron.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice mess o' whiskers there Pat. Good work!

I need a rematch to upgrade my reputation with the kitties.[shocked]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You usually do your fair share of cat whackin'. I am sure you would have scored a few yesterday.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Water is staying higher and warmer longer this year. Should be good for a while yet.[/#0000ff]
[signature]