Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chironomid
This is why I love to Chironomid

[Image: IMG_3886.jpg]

This came out of ONE fish.
[Image: IMG_3888.jpg]

They are so easy to tie, basically a bead, thread and wire.

Some others

[Image: IMG_3661.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3156.jpg]

Fish them like scuds. This is in a fishes diet 24/7
[signature]
i really wish i would have snapped some pics of the green ones i found and told you about. they were gigantic, both in dfirth and length
[signature]
The money maker I switched to is a #12 Tiemco 200R black Tungsten bead, Olive thread and Clear flex tubing.....worked like a charm, but I forgot all about it till you mentioned what was on your anchor....did you see the light go on above my head...LOL
[signature]
Looks like some tasty trout treats! It always amazes me how many different colors and sizes they have.
[signature]
what is clear flex tubing.. I thought they were tied with thread and wire??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I use all sorts of material. V-Rib is great for effect. There is also a hollow tubing that is filled with a liquid that is very cool although I have never used it.
[signature]
no wonder I get so Confused.... :-)
[signature]
Got to keep you on your toes.
[signature]
What kind of clear flex tubing are you using? Everything I have seen around here is too big to use on a chironomid.

Any pictures?
[signature]
I don't have a picture with the Tubing, but this is what the fly looks like

[Image: IMG_1593.jpg]

A Tiemco 200R #12
Olive Thread (I prefer UTC as it lays flat and doesn't change color when wet)
Peacock Thorax and White Ostrich for gills

As for tubing, MY FAVORITE, comes from a hobby store like Michaels. It is called ELASTICITY by Beadalon Stretch bead cord in the necklace making area. On a spool.
Get the 0.5mm Stuff really stretches so very versatile.
[signature]
NOW it makes sense... [angelic]
[signature]
Cool fly! Thanks for posting the picture.

Good idea on the bead cord. I will have to look for it around here.
[signature]
Thanks for convincing me to give these a try! I tied several up (thread, copper wire and a gold colored bead) and had an AWESOME day yesterday. I fished the Boise river through town with them when I had a few hours, and didn't really expect too much. Downtown and all. I haven't had that much success on decent sized rainbows in a while. Never before had such luck on wild trout. I fished the chironomid under a Royal Wulff. It was a little more effort than using a strike indicator because I had to retie knots to change depth, but the added bonus was 2 fish that took the Royal Wulf. Worth it.

Thanks again, had a great time with these easy to make little guys that don't even seem to fall apart.
[signature]
WOW! Great to hear.
[signature]
just reread this post and of course got a question... you mention the necklace making tubing... is that used instead of the wire?? In other words.. good thread base.. then tubing.. then gills and thorax and no wire counter wrap??

MacFly
[signature]
Yes. Oh, you could rib the lace body with wire for a two dimensional look.
[signature]
and these are the ones that you usually coat with hard as nails to give a nice shiney look to correct.. ?

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
No, not on the Tube stuff. You could I guess and it would make it last longer. Trout have teeth and they shred thread flies, so I coat them for that reason. The shiny is for me...LOL
[signature]
Flygoddess, Have you been to Chironomid lake lately? I've been quite a bit lately and have not seen a lady with a yellow pontoon yet.
[signature]
I have been using my BLUE boat. But, it has been about four week ago...and the wind was about 40 MPH.
[Image: IMG_1793.jpg]
[signature]