Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mouse Patterns
Alright ever since I started getting back into throwing flys I have heard about fishing mouse patterns close to dusk for browns. Here in this area of SE Idaho we have some great waters that I have been kicking around doing this on. Anyone have any experience tossing mouse patterns?
Looking for another method to catch fish but more importantly looking for something to pull bigger fish. Lets hear things you do, setups, or if you think its nothing but BS.
[signature]
I don't think its BS, as the following pictures will show, But I think you've got to be dedicated and get out when the fish are on the bite. I don't have any magic method - cast, strip/gurgle, rest, repeat. Oh, and hold on tight and don't soil yourself when the strike occurs - it will shock you out of your waders [Wink]

[Image: NewPicture1-2.jpg]

[Image: NewPicture2.jpg]

[Image: NewPicture-3.jpg]

These are not fish I've caught, just photos I've collected. Last year there was a vole "hatch" at Silver Creek, but I haven't heard anything this year. Your stomping grounds of the South Fork Snake ought to be a great place to give this a try this fall. Let us know how you do.

Kelly.
[signature]
LUNCH!!!! just slap the fly on the water. No need to be delicate at all. A lake here is fun early morning with the mouse pattern for some big cutts. Funny thing too, you can be in 18' of water. Maybe they think they fall from the sky....LOL
[signature]
Those are some crazy pics kelly. Ive tossed it around up there. Been thinking about doing an over night trip on the boat and fish a couple of the big deep spots at night with streamers and try the mouse. Also got a hole on the north fork Ive felt compelled to try it on. Just looking for another method and technique to use my fly rod for.

Picked up fishing droppers this summer and now I'm catching about 90% of my fish on them. I usually switch to spinning gear this time of year but think this is the year to let it collect dust.

Ive been watching some youtube vids and reading some articles on mousing. Seems like they get violent strikes.

Thinking some shorter leaders with pretty good size to it to handle those types of strikes.
[signature]
or try furlled leaders...

MacFly
[signature]
[quote macfly55]or try furlled leaders...

MacFly[/quote]

never fished them or been with people that do. So maybe something to look into and try out.
[signature]
PM FlyGoddess. She does some great furled leaders.

And because they have some stretch to them they act as a shock cord for your tippet.
[signature]
There are a lot of spun deer hair mouse patterns.

Here is a hair mouse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGBeU98HV0Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVHYlg8I9...er&list=UL
[signature]
God I hate when I brain fart like that.. I was going to mention that Fg ties and sells them .. in fact thought I had... but guess I didnt... [:/]

furled leaders are amazing.. tough.. resilient... nice to cast... I think the only time FG says not to use them is with dries... (course I could have that backwards too today.. lol)...

anyway.. long story short... tangled one bad (my fault) in my tippet.. ended up cutting the loop off the tippet end.. then tied a perfection knot in it to keep fishing.. and it worked really well...

MacFly ...
[signature]