Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downriggers and fly gear?
Has anyone ever fished this set up?

Was watching BC outdoors today on WFN and they were trolling using a downrigger and big fly rods. In the leader they had a flasher ( similar to the flasher that you would see at the front of pop gear). And then a big streamer. It really perked my interest . Is its something any users have seen/done? If so any insite? Im in the process of getting a downrigger for our boat so I can get away from the pop gear and it would be that much better if there is away that I can use it with fly gear for some of the nice bows on blackfoot and cutthroats on henry's.
[signature]
I am betting it wasn't fly fishing, but mooching. They look similar but way different. No fly line, just mono on a reel that looks like a fly reel. Might be a center pin.
Here is some of the reels and rods
http://www.buycheapr.com/us/result.jsp?g...ching+reel

Fly line comes in different sink rate weights...you don't use down riggers on a fly line.
[signature]
I stand corrected. That looks like what they were doing. In looking at their reels it looked like a large arbor with colored line and backing so I figured it was just large fly gear. Thanks for the info.
[signature]
Mooching is cool, and I think it would be a blast on a boat, but it isn't fly fishing....but then, does it matter? Fishing should be fun and this looks fun.
[signature]
I agree 100% on the fun factor, why I have no problem switching gear , but if I can fly is the method of choice.

It looked like a riot. They were catching coho in the inlets off BC's coast. Unique and cool fishing method IMO. I would give it a whirl.
[signature]
This is how I fish for trout on Lake Erie. Use Flyrod w/ extended butt, 12-14# mono. replaces flyline, small dodger (4") Grizzly or Lure Jensen and tube streamer fly w/ big hook (3/0), or # 44 thin Sutton flutterspoon. Lower on downrigger to desired depth (generally no more than 35 ft.). Lock mono. w/ Du-bro drop-back release, so reel will not free-spool...And troll slowly such that dodger swings lure back & forth without spinning. Most trout cannot resist this combination.
[signature]