Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lake mead 10/10/11
[cool]Hit the water south of 33 hole today at gray light. Got into the small lmb and mini micro stripers first . Caught my biggest striper a little while later on the trap, an even 2lber. Kicked over to another cove for more small guys and a 1.5lb striper. Just before getting back I stopped by where I got the 2lber and began jigging a spoon on the bottom. Bang...hookup and another 1.5lber. A couple minutes later and another1.5lber. Then it got quiet and I headed in. Good day on the water with only a little wind at first. Nothing but little hits on the flyrod. Maybe next time. P.S. The 2lber. was 19" so Erawk still holds that catagory.
[signature]
Hey, that big one at the bottom of the picture was the same one I caught the other day but he got away. Thanks for finding him for me. PM me so I can arrange to pick him up from you. [Wink]
[signature]
Looks like they are feeding well, chubby fish!
[signature]
Good stuff man thanks for sharing...Smile
[signature]
damn those are all great size. Big E, are you on shore or on a boat/kayak/floater? I have to admit, I've spent 0 time going for stripers, everytime I hit the lake its for lmb or smb and I think I'm a moron for ignoring the species that everyone comes to lake mead for - give me some quick pointers I need to pull out a few stripers before the weather changes!! rtraps, crankbaits, bucktails?
[signature]
If you have a boat....any big cove near the wash starts going off just before sunrise. I use a large chrome crocodile spoon, buck tail or spinnow. Wait for the boils (dont have to wait long if your early) and stay moving from boil to boil. No exaggeration when we hit the lake early (still dark when we pull out of boulder harbor) we kill it....for hours. Usually about 8:30 to 10 it will just die off but we normally pull in 30 or so strippers...all small (1 to 2 lbs), nothing to brag about but not lacking in quantity. THE TRICK IS TO MOVE AROUND. The strippers are chasing shad, stay on them. The times we have stayed camped out in an area for more then 30 min our catch rate goes waaaay down. Here is a map of my favorite spot to catch them consistently, this is just one of many.

Keys to success....
1) Find the boils, be on the water before the sun breaks!
2) Stay at casting distance....dont drive over the boil. We are always successful if we use the stealth approach (trolling motor)
3) vary your retrieve. If slow and steady isnt working try burning it in, jigging, ect....
4) switch up lures (top water versus spoon/jig) If my zara spook isnt working i default to a croc spoon or other lure that looks like a shad
5) Vary your depth. dont be afraid to let it drop below the boil, what you see on the surface is just the tip of the iceberg.
6) If i am in a boil and after several casts dont have any fish...i change my lure.
7) I have two or more poles rigged differently so i dont waste time restringing a lure, just switch poles. Sometimes you only get a few minutes on a boil.
8) When it starts to slow up a little move to the cove entrance...remember the strippers are pushing the shad, usually to deeper water.

Those are just a few of the techniques i have learned this last year and have had great success. I only fish from 4 am to 10 am on Mead, at least in summer.
[signature]
THANK YOU! Those are some great pointers that you definitely can only get after a lot of trial and error, i appreciate the hell out of you sharing the wisdom! The spot that you put on the map happens to be one of my favorite parts of lake mead to fish - I'm gonna have to do an overnight camp there and wake up while it's still dark, I'm stoked man. I'll give you a report on what happens
[signature]
i say just use dynamite. works everytime..lol
[signature]
lvfishingdude has the right idea!
[signature]