Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North East Trout Flies to Start With?
Howdy folks -
I'm heading off to my local fly shop later this evening and was planning on picking up some materials to start tying flies. My problem is that I don't want to tie flies that won't be useful to me and my area (I'm in southern Quebec, north NY).

I've done some looking around, and have come up with the following list.

Adams Elk hair caddis light cahill Mickey Fin Royal Wulff Prince Nymph Griffiths Gnats Stimulator Hares Ear Woolly Worm Brassie Clouser Minnor Muddler Minnow Woolly Bugger
Its a bit of a long list, given the list of materials this will require. I was wondering if perhaps any I could do without, or any which I'm missing. That said, I would like a few Streamers, Nymphs, and Dry Flies.

I'll be trout fishing for Brook Trout, Rainbow, and Brown primarily.

Thanks!
[signature]
Clousers are real easy to tie and got a start with the Micky Finn. Pheasant Tails.
Don't forget Scuds and Sows which are highest on the food chain. They will eat those 24/7 - 365. Also Pupa/chironomids. For them Brown, maybe even a mouse.

Mosquitos and Stimulators (hoppers, beetles, ants)

Popular dries also include PMD's (Pale Morning Duns) and BWO's (Blue Wing Olives)
[signature]
In your neck of the woods you should learn how to tie Patriots. this is coming from a Pennsylvanian. Its my go to dry fly.
[signature]
I have a Chironomid called the Patriot...killer pattern. You are talking the Royal Wulff pattern with blue mylar in place of the Peacock right? I also have a steelhead fly called the Patriot. It was actually a commemorative of 9/11 (have three of them)
[signature]
Correct. The one Charlie Meck is famous for!
[signature]
I tried it about 7 years ago with no hits, guess I will give it another go. I thought it was a Fisherman Catcher at first.
[signature]
when I moved to Idaho and started fishing it all my buddies out there were like what the freak is that thing. After a week of fishing it with success on the teton and some other local areas We went on a fishing trip and I noticed about a half dozen patriots in each friends fly box. haha. It honestly works anywhere your standard attractor pattern works. or if the fish are very actively feeding. If I had to pick one fly to fish the rest of my life it would be the patriot.
[signature]