Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the deal with Fall flys?
I went out to the Logan this morning with typical fly patterns I always use and got skunked. My "go to" flys are usually... black copper johns, copper johns, hares ear, adams, parachute adams, and caddis patterns. This same thing seemed to happen to me last year around this time. Do the bugs change significantly in the Fall? Should I be using other patterns?
Thanks for any help
[signature]
My opinion is to go totally nymph. Try (my standard) #10 prince and/or rubber legged hair's ear. I fish em in tandem with split shot on the tag end below the 2 droppers on in chocolate conditions on the weeb. and can't keep em off. I prefer the prince on the bottom. Make sure your tag end split shots are on weaker line so when you get hung up, you only lose your split shots. [Wink]
[signature]
flip over rocks and see whats swimming, that is always good way of seeing what the fish are eating
[signature]
Bug diversity can change on a daily Basis. Nymphs of summer have hatched into adults and are no longer available to the fish in the fall so they do not look natural to them. Most of the terrestial go by by after the first frost. So you will want to change your flys for the seasons except for patterns such as Scuds,leeches,sow bugs (nymph patters that are always in the water). Midge Patterns,small nymph patterns to imitate the beginning of the nymph life cycle. Dry flys like mosquitos,black midges,ants are patterns that imitate flys you will find in the colder months, all tend to be a little smaller. Your Parachute adams should work all year around, just down size in colder months.
[signature]
It may also be a matter of the fish changing locations or changing their behavior. Make sure you're using the proper weight to get down to the bottom. That being said, with the brown trout spawn starting up you can find both browns and cutts up in shallower runs at times as well. The browns are spawning, and the cutts holding back eating the eggs.

Stonefly nymphs are always a good choice as they have a two year life cycle and are always in the stream. Also blue wing olives are hatching out quite frequently, and October caddis can be found this time of year. I have also found that brighter colors mixed into your nymphs can be really good now. Purple, orange, and green have all been working well for me.

With the brown trout spawn starting up, egg imitations can also be good. Streamers are another option for those aggressive browns.
[signature]
Thanks for the tips and info. I'll get em next weekend.
[signature]