Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod Epoxy
I have a diawa sealine rod that looks like it needs epoxy on the wrappings around the guides. Any sugestions on what to do and how to go about it would be appreciated.
[signature]
if you dont care how it looks, check out the threds rapping the eyelet. if they look sound use foxy epoxy. it will dry clear.

if the threds look freid, rap it with a stout thred evenly then put the foxy epoxy on it.

if looks are an issue take it to some one who has the skills or pratice on an old one before attempting it. I have replace eyelets on several rods and they are still there after 20 years of abuse.

I also use foxy epoxy on the rod tips. the pro's sugest you use a hot glue gun so you can replace it or heat it back up to get it streight if you get it on crooked the first time. foxy epoxy is unforgiving, you have to make sure you get it right the first time.
[signature]
thanks, where can I get this foxy epoxy?[crazy]
[signature]
any hobby shop

any wallmart Kmart or other shopping center

any good hunting and fishing retail store.

any hardwear store.
[signature]
thanks,[Smile] i had never heard of it before.
[signature]
You might also look into the two-part polyurethane and/or other polymer rod finishes. They dry a little slower and I believe are more flexible than many of the epoxies (although I'm not familiar with davetclown's foxy epoxy) The slower drying facilitates producing a smooth, uniform, level coating by rotating the rod while drying. The flexibility helps prevent cracking when the rod is flexed during use.

I'd recommend against using epoxy on the tip top. There are more than rare occasions tip tops need to be replaced. I, several times needed to replace the tip top after the friction ring became cracked, or completely disappeared. The first time I had to replace the tip top on my HMG Fenwick, I had to cut the tip of my rod blank off, because Fenwick must put its tip tops on with epoxy. Heat would not loosen it. I use the hot melt glue. Not only does it let you easily reposition the tip top if you first put it on crooked; but while it attaches the tip top firmly, it allows you to remove the tip top with just a liitle heat if you need to replace it.

You can find both the polymer finishes and the hot melt glue in most fishing catalogs. I know Jann's Netcraft and Cabelas has them.
[signature]