Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hook sharpening
any one have a good method/tips on hand sharpening hooks.
[signature]

Hey there davetclown,

Suggestion number one is to get the right sharpener for the hooks that you most commonly use. I fish a lot of saltwater and most iron (metal jigs) have those cadnium treble hooks that last about one barracuda! ha ha I use a hook file.

About 10 years ago I had a rechargable 'hook honer' that ground points in a cone shape. Great for certian types of barbs (straight) useless for others.

Suggestion two is to use either the rounded whet stones or the cylindrical hook files as they seem to be the best all around sharpener for differently shaped barbs. The curved barbs are the hardest to get a good point on!

Suggestion three is to decide whether you want to buy the machine or chemically sharpened hooks. If you buy the chemically honed ones you'll never get a good point on them with a file. Into the trash they go! Sorry.

That goes for the ones that are chemically treated then have the barb Teflon coated! Those hooks are outrageously sharp. Unbelievable as you'll cut yourself without even knowing it while tying it. Honest!

JapanRon
[signature]
ya know, some folks say hooks are cheap,

I have to disagree with that statement (you did not say this) I have to disagree with that statement, this year I baught a packet of 8 hooks that cost 3.50 plus sales tax. a net of about .47 per hook.

I tied up 6 leaers with the 8 hooks and only used one of the leaders. and with that leader I have pulled in a dozen walleye, a multitude of bass both large and small mouth. with that single hook I put a good 12 pounds of fish in the frezer. of cource that hook paid for it self on the first walleye that sells for $7+ per pound.

now I am not complaining about the cost of hooks, who could I?[crazy]

so to turn this around to a debate about the feasability of resharpening hooks. when is it best to give a hook a lick or two with a stone or toss it out
[signature]

Hi davetclown,

I say every time you get a hit or fish, are ticking the bottom numberous time in a cast OR as many first-timers don't realize, if you are fishing the beach or sandy bottoms cheap hooks will dull real fast with just a few casts and sets out in the suds.

I don't follow my own advice nearly enough. Guilty as charged!

Expensive hooks! I like the Owner light wire circle hooks. A package of 0/5's (3) cost me around $4.... ya four bucks.

JapanRon
[signature]
[size 2]Love those OWNER hooks[blush] I am not one just to throw a sponsors name around unless tried and tested but this hooks work![/size]

[size 2] I highly recommend them. Alittle pricer than other but it's because they work.[/size]

[url "http://www.ownerhooks.com/"]http://www.ownerhooks.com/[/url]
[signature]
well guys, I am in good company, cause those hooks I mentioned above are "owners" circle hooks red coated wire.[cool]

and buddies, I will sware by them.[Wink] now all I have to do is find out which one of our sponcers cary this product.[crazy]
[signature]
the owners that i buy are the ringed live bait hooks. they are about a dollar a peice!!!! kinda expensive, but the rings are worth it...the bait swims so much better!

joe
[signature]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=796;]these are the ones I use.
[signature]